🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Loading models

Started by
4 comments, last by lc_overlord 12 years, 12 months ago
A newbie question , this is in relation to ms3d loader you used in lesson 31, i am a little confused and my question might not be seen smart...but i need to clarify some things...is it possible that some loaders select only specific kind of model size(depending on the number of polygons or how the large model sizes). Because i have been having this issue my models, where i use a loader downloaded online and fix my models in them and they just wont display.....i have tired them on different formats...even had to increase the allowable number of polygons for one of the loaders....but still did not get any good result

please i would like your help...any ideas on how to fix this kind of problem..i have tried using obj and 3ds loaders and still not succeded....

and also does this ms3d loader used in lesson 31 have a maximum number of polygon it accepts from models???

just want to know where to look ...because i am frustrated right now ...just need any help i can get.....Sorry if my question's is not good enough

thanks
Advertisement
No loader i know of selects according to size unless they have some kind of LOD system in place, most don't and even if they do it would still load something.
The ms3d loader should not have an upper limit in theory, though i really don't know much about the format myself so it could be hitting the 64k limit somewhere.
It really depends on the model and model format, which is another thing, this version of ms3d is an older version which could be your problem, so it shouldn't really be used anymore, obj should still work, though preferably you should make your own format and convert collada files to it.

What you mean with " large model sizes"? 1k, 10k, 100k, 1M, or more polys?

No loader i know of selects according to size unless they have some kind of LOD system in place, most don't and even if they do it would still load something.
The ms3d loader should not have an upper limit in theory, though i really don't know much about the format myself so it could be hitting the 64k limit somewhere.
It really depends on the model and model format, which is another thing, this version of ms3d is an older version which could be your problem, so it shouldn't really be used anymore, obj should still work, though preferably you should make your own format and convert collada files to it.

What you mean with " large model sizes"? 1k, 10k, 100k, 1M, or more polys?

thank you for your reply......please could you give any suggestions on how i could create my own format...because it seems that no loader i use accepts my models...i tried an obj loader using the glm.lib and glm.cpp.. which pretended to load and went off within a second, i also tried a 3ds format on a 3ds loader gave me blank.....i kinda feel my models dont work with thier algorithms(they are not really that complex which makes it more frustrating)........how do i go about making my own format (any tutorials would suffice).

large model sizes...my model has 11,000 polygons

thank you for your help

That's not that large.

The way to go about it is fairly simple, first you will need a header that contains all relevant information like the number of polygons and where the data for vertex texture and normal information start,
Just having a array of unsigned ints is preferable.
Secondly, just write the data, it's not that hard, writing a file spec is preferable though so both you and anyone else can replicate it with ease.

You will probably go trough several formats before you settle on something more permanent, but that's just a part of the learning process.

The hard part is not creating the format, it's exporting to the format that's why i recommend that you first make a obj loader and make that work, then make your own format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavefront_.obj_file

[quote name='GottiJay' timestamp='1309011173' post='4827576']

That's not that large.

The way to go about it is fairly simple, first you will need a header that contains all relevant information like the number of polygons and where the data for vertex texture and normal information start,
Just having a array of unsigned ints is preferable.
Secondly, just write the data, it's not that hard, writing a file spec is preferable though so both you and anyone else can replicate it with ease.

You will probably go trough several formats before you settle on something more permanent, but that's just a part of the learning process.

The hard part is not creating the format, it's exporting to the format that's why i recommend that you first make a obj loader and make that work, then make your own format.

http://en.wikipedia....front_.obj_file
[/quote]

Thanks alot for your help i am very grateful.....one final question, after creating the loader and i was planing on loading multiple models i should not need an extra loader for each separate model ?

Thanks alot for your help i am very grateful.....one final question, after creating the loader and i was planing on loading multiple models i should not need an extra loader for each separate model ?

Not if you wrap it in a class, then you can just create a new instance of that class for every model you choose to load.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement