🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Release of a new game in these days?

Started by
12 comments, last by Jester101 22 years, 9 months ago
As Smugglers 2 (www.smugglers2.net) is to be released the next two weeks, I wanted to ask your opinion whether the current political situation will have any effect on the sales of computer games in these days? Positive or negative?

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
I''m back. Was gone for a few months, but i''m back. Anyway, I think, personally, that I would hold it off for a couple weeks past that. A thing like that would probably make people...NOT want to buy a violent game, or even one that SUGGESTS violence. I mean, I still can''t pick up Unreal Tournament or anything without wanting to puke.
Sqeek.
Yes I was thinking about this too. Other opinions? Is anyone in the same situation as I am?

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

I don´t think it matters. As long as you can´t destroy big buildings by flying into it.

-------------Ban KalvinB !
People had the same concerns right after columbine, but it didn''t seem like anyone was particularly offended by stuff that was no more violent than is usual for video games.
Consider Majestic... its content is probably more sensitive right now than your title''s. The game has been suspended, but supposedly it will be restarted in the next few days (see GamaSutra).
if you would make a game about nuking the middle east people would buy it, many have a lot of anger and they would like to nuke countries in a videogame, on the other side making a game in which you have to fly planes against buildings would be liked by people who are simply poor and won''t buy your game, they would play the demo or a pirate copy so it wouldn''t be profitable.
If your game has violence it will sell more now than at a peace time, most of the people want revenge instead of peace.
It will probably have a negative affect considering all the donations going to the now homeless, and the children who would buy the game usually depend on thier parents who will just say: "I have more important things to spend money on right now!" due to the sudden tragedy. Unless, of course, your game is a RTS where you chose a country and chose another you fight with...

I like peaceful games, or games about revenge for issues other than flying planes into buildings...

I would suggest you take a few extra weeks to fix up any bugs or add some new features.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I don´t think it matters. As long as you can´t destroy big buildings by flying into it.

Damn, they stole my idea, maybe I souldn't have shown my idea to those arabs, they didn't seem to be interested about the videogame side of the project. I'll sue them!

I think this is too offensive even for me. nevermind

Edited by - nicole poster on September 17, 2001 11:41:31 PM
This reminds me of the post about making an excessively violent video game to make a statement. It seemed to work at the time... but looking back, if someone was to make a game based on those horrible events of last week... I''m not sure what would happen... but I don''t think it would be nice. But yet at the same time, it would perfectly be the game being described.

anyhow... sorry for getting so off topic

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement