🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

.x 3d file format for games?

Started by
5 comments, last by youngo 24 years, 6 months ago
is there any reason why i shouldnt use the .x file format for games?
Advertisement
Yep ... If you using OpenGL then I don''t recommend you use X format for your games , because it''s very hard animation format - .X uses Keyframe . I don''t know how to you Keyframe .. It''s very hard .. Attachment objects .. Pivot point .. eeehhhhh .... stupid animation system !
... But if you using D3D then I think it''s a one of the best choose for you ... It''s very easy format in D3D .. Easy animation system for D3D .. (D3D - automaticly understands Keyframe ... ehhhh ... ) ..
Ohh .. That it is ..
Personnaly I don''t like X file format ... 8)

quake3
quake3
I would like to use .x files in a game but don''t have a clue how to make them, I know (think) it can be done in 3D studio max with a plugin, but I can''t afford that just now. Is there any programs, hopefully free that you can use to make them?

Thanks
----------------
Black Edge Games
----------------
Yeah, I found the plugin for .x files for 3D Studio MAX but I dont know how to use it. Its not an executable, I know this probaly isnt the right place to ask but does anyone know how to use a plugin for 3D Studio MAX?
thanks in advance.

You have .. for example ... x.dlY
(where Y - is a ACTION .
Y=e - Plugin for EXPORT
Y=i - Plugin for IMPORT
e.t.c)
yeah ? And you just need to copy your plug-in to 3dsmax\STPLUGS catalog ...
Now .. Run 3DSMax ... If you have Import / Export plug-in then you can found new format in FILE->Export ...
IF it''s another type of format then you just need to search your plug-in in Modifications->MORE and replace your plugin with something else ..

quake3
quake3
Alse You can export 3DS file .. and convert it to .X file format with conv3ds.exe file .. ( from DIRECTX-- SDK)

quake3
quake3
Hi, I was that Anon poster, whats weird is that conv3ds does not output .x files that I can load in my program. I just dont understand, Thank U for the help

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement