🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D Character Modelling

Started by
2 comments, last by Someone 24 years, 6 months ago
Hi! I''m a newbie in 3D Programming. I''ve been trying out OpenGL on Visual C++ lately and have gotten the basics of it understood. I''m just wondering what is the best way to start modelling a 3D Character / Human? Since OpenGL is procedural, which part of the body is the best to start with? Also, is it advisable to model parts of the body (i.e. model upper arm, lower arm, etc.) and then use glRotatef to position them to simulate the movement of the arm, or is it better to manipulate the position of the vertices itself using some coding? Thanx in advance!
Advertisement
The absolutely best way to model a character is using a modeling package, and reading it''s output.

If you use OpenGL, and you don''t use bone systems/skinning, the best way is to compile the body parts into separate display lists, and manipulate them through matrices. This allows the OpenGL driver to maximize performance. The second-best way is to use compiled indexed vertex arrays.

But I recommend getting some static scenery working first. THis proves to be already quite hard. If you managed to get that working, proceed to the actors. This way, you gradually build up knowledge.

DaBit (dabit@trybit.com)
http://dabit.trybit.com
Thanks for the input! But, how do you use bone systems / skinning in OpenGL? I''ve been using 3D Studio Max for quite some time and understand how the bone system works, so if it''s possible to use that under OpenGL, it would be much easier...

Does anyone know if there are programs out there that will convert 3D Studio models into OpenGL codes?
The glutmech demo for glut/OpenGL demonstrates the display list method for animating a bipedal figure. If it didn''t come with your GL distribution, you can download it from the SGI site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement