🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting started with music

Started by
9 comments, last by WayfarerX 22 years, 6 months ago
Basicly, I''m looking for suggestions on the best way(s) to go about becoming a musician. Back in the day I played a little saxaphone, but have since become a programmer and have unloaded all of my musical knowledge in favor of hundreds of function definitions and class layouts. I''m looking to broaden my horizons a little to avoid the geek-in-a-dark-room-forever syndrome and enhance the creative side of myself that I have neglected for so long. I have a great appriciation of music and would love to be able to create my own. So what I''m looking for here are suggestions on how a technically-educated but creative person should approach this complicated craft. Should I pick an instrument and take some lessons, or maybe study music theory and get going with a MIDI keboard and my computer. Any good books/websites/ect? Thanks up front for any replies. "If consquences dictate our course of action, it doesn''t matter what''s right, it''s only wrong if you get caught." - Tool
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
Advertisement
Lessons, while they can be expencive, are A Good Idea. Especialy if you are just starting an instrument.

Theory can be learned by oneself, however, but it still helps to actualy be having lessons.

Good Luck. Music is well worth the effort. Have Fun.

Resist Broken Links - andrewrussellstudios.4nx2.comI don''t believe it! Just Great!
Another server has gone!
I suppose people get into it in different ways... I wouldn''t recommend the MIDI keyboard and music thery method, for myself music needs to be enjoyable. I just found that I liked a particular instrument and it went on from there. I then found that I like computers and I started making music on them. Do you think you have an affinity towards rythm or melody in particular, or certain sounds or instruments? What did you like about saxaphone?
www.kapads.com
I suppose people get into it in different ways... I wouldn't recommend the MIDI keyboard and music thery method, for myself music needs to be enjoyable. I just found that I liked a particular instrument and it went on from there. I then found that I like computers and I started making music on them. Do you think you have an affinity towards rythm or melody in particular, or certain sounds or instruments? What did you like about saxaphone?

Oops dbl post (:

www.kapads.com

Edited by - fornicator on October 7, 2001 10:35:37 AM
www.kapads.com
I''d recommend midi keyboard and theory (harmony!!). It''s easy to convert some mood into a melody in your head but hard to get it from there. I''m a tracker, and very bad at playing a keyboard and it feels like "I have no mouth and I must scream". So most of the inspiration fades away before I''m able to put something together. If you''ll want to create some electronic track, you can always theow the theory away but it''s certainly worth knowing and it will rapidly speed up any more complicated parts of your music. And the keyboard skills are good for everything imo.
-Claymore-
Thanks for the input guys, here''s what I''ve decided to do:
My girlfriend works at radio shack and she hooked me up with a cheap MIDI controller. I''m going to mess around with it for awhile, and if after a couple of months I think I need help I''m going to go down to the local music store and sign up for some lessons. If I ever become a fomous musician I''ll be sure and cut you guys a check .

One other thing, could anyone reccomend a good introductory text to theory/composition?

"If consquences dictate our course of action, it doesn''t matter what''s right, it''s only wrong if you get caught."
- Tool

"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
well, one thing you can do is download some midi files (quality ones) study them, study theory (although it''s just theory, music is not a theory, it''s an expression, although mathematics has a lot to do with it)

read everything you can about midi, composition etc...

listen and make mental notes while listening to music.

surround yourself with musicians, good musicians. get feedback from other musicians. this can be a hard road to travel but if you have the drive you can do wonders.

Project Majestic Mix
JAXX''''s music site
oh yeah, and find yourself a good program to work with, don't always go with the crowd, use what's most comfortable to you, don't be close minded towards any programs.

I'm an avid Cakewalk user, and I use Soundforge. a lot of other people out there use these programs regularly, might want to check them out.

midi is the way to go because it's so vast, it's everywhere. It's basically universal for all electronic musical instruments.

Edited by - JAXX on October 15, 2001 5:47:51 AM
Personally, I suggest getting a tracker, like Impulse Tracker of FastTracker. If you have ANY musical knowlege at all, this will help bring it out. Either that or hire someone like me.

--
TwinStarBMC@yahoo.com
Lessons, lessons, lessons.

Many people will tell you that lessons are suck and are a waste of money. However, the best possible way to learn an instrument is to take professional lessons from a professional musician.

Learning the theory behind the music is also crucial. You can learn to play and enjoy music without the theory, but eventually this will limit you artistically. Especially if you have any interest in "classical" music or jazz.

Best of luck to you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement