🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Write a story for this game concept

Started by
54 comments, last by b615421998 11 years, 6 months ago
I don't care how good other posters may be, this sounded so fun, I HAD to come out of lurking. :)

Here it goes.

That day, everyone lost something.
Memories, names, body parts.... people. Sometimes, what was lost was replaced, flesh patched with shadows.
Something is changing us.

I don't know what I lost. I recognize my reflection. I can't see what it took, and that's what scares me the most.

Those who were changed tear their throats trying to mimic that sound. I can't sleep anymore. I don't recognize the people I knew.
I want to run. I never want to hear that sound again. I don't want to lose anything else.

But if I leave, I'll never be whole again.

Something happened that day, and I'm the only one left whole enough to find out what. I have to find the answer. Because no one is left to remember.

(Was that ok? I hope it wasn't too vague. I noticed a lot of people playing with visuals more. Ah well, I had fun. :) )
Advertisement
Hey Cassandra,

It isn't too vague at all, keep on writing since im interested with what you can come up with.

@ StormyNature,

I like some of your ideas, feel free to let your imagination go since your on the right track. Although I am not sure where you have gotten the Umbrella (resident evil?) reference from.

@ JefferyTitan,

Some nice writing Jeffery but we are looking for a different setting/character and a more "vague" type of story. What if the main character was an old man and the entire game consists of his memory's ?

@ March3000,

Some nice ideas you have there, some of which we were already trying to implement into our engine (but it's not so easy ha!).

@ DarkLink_

interesting idea for a game but it's not what we have in mind for this project. Your welcome to try again though!

Now let me post an image of the "early Alpha build" allong with some pictures:

Ingame Pic.
358urtc.jpg
Some reference photo's.
zwf8s5.jpg
2r7wv1z.jpg
jpfvb6.jpg
8y57p0.jpg
k2fsxf.jpg

Although I am not sure where you have gotten the Umbrella (resident evil?) reference from.

http://www.defensene...mbrella-S-Korea

Fairly common usage with regard the nuclear defense systems esp. back in the 80's. Used basically as a descriptive term implying protection against falling missiles (aka rain). Not that any of them ever worked properly.
Ok let's give this another try.

The man opened his eyes. He didn't remember anything. He got up. He could feel anxiety. What was going on? Where was he? He looked around him. He was in a wooden cabinet. Outside was night. He looked down on himself. He had blood on his hands. Blood! What had happened? He saw a piece of wood lying around by the wall. He grabbed it and walked outside.

Total blackness around him, though he could see the red leaves of the trees. He started walking. Noises were heard from all sides of the forest. He was angry but he didn't know why. Why? Why was there blood on his hands and where was he?

Suddenly a crack was heard really close to him. He turned around and readied his weapon. Two giant glittering eyes were looking straight at him. He clenched his hands around the wood, ready to attack anything that came his way.

But then another crack was heard. A crack behind him. He turned on the side so he could see both his bullies. The glittering eyes got smaller and afraid. A wolf started crying and the cry slowly degraded until there was no more.

The man was still looking at the side of the second crack. Noone was there. Nothing. No human, no animal and no beast.

After a minute, that felt like an eternity, he decided to start walking again. What had happened? Why did the wolf leave and why didn't he remember anything? Again and again only one thing was on his mind: What is all this?

He didn't know. But he was gonna find out. And he was going to do it reather soon.

Ok, hope that's closer to what you're looking for.
Hi there. I'm a freelance writer looking to make more of a name for myself. My specialty is screen writing, but I also work in short fiction with a focus on sci fi, fantasy and horror. I kept the player character description vague, but in my mind they are a young woman, reminiscent of Heather from Silent Hill 3.

The player lives alone with their doting mother in a little cottage in the middle of the woods. In the distance a tower looms over their meager lives. Their mother will only tell them to stay away from it, and the terrible noises it emits night and day are enough to make the player heed the warning. They live quietly and humbly, as if at any moment that terrible spire will turn its gaze on them and everything will be over.

The player has a faint scar on her cheek, one their mother told them they got playing with a knife as a child, but the player has been having strange dreams. Darkness with a flash of light, a sharp pain in their cheek waking them in a cold sweat.

One day the player returns to the cabin to find their mother brutally murdered, nothing more then a maimed pile of limbs and gore scattered about the floor, yet her intact face is almost serene. A horrible creature lurks in the shadows, one of congealed darkness, dripping in old black clotted blood. When it approaches the player, their old scar splits open, sending fresh blood down their cheek to mix with their tears. They flee the cabin, sure the thing is right behind them.

But once they're lost in the woods, the creature is no where to be found. Shaken and alone with no where to go, they find themselves wandering towards the tower, the only point of reference on the horizon.

Shadows chase the player, sounds haunt them, and the thing, the creature, is never far behind. If it gets close to them their bleeding cheek grows worse, along with a pounding headache. The monster makes terrible noises, almost words, but they're choked and gurgled, and the player can only cover their ears and run from whatever terrible thing it wishes to say to them.

The creature hounds them on, never giving them a moment's rest, chasing them through places they'd never knew lay beyond the woods. It finally corners them, and the player is certain of their terrible death. Yet just before they pass out from the splitting pain in their head, the dark tower in the distance emits one of its terrible noises. The creature shudders at the sound, retreating back to the darkness from whence it came, giving the player just enough time to escape.

The player must traverse the dark labyrinth to try to find the secret that keeps the creature at bay, but instead they will discover a dark truth about their own past…
Many of these stories written here bring back memories of Max Payne..
Anyways keep up the good work!
Pieces. That’s all I find...pieces.

Pieces that are answers to questions that I don’t know. Not my questions. No...not my questions.

I know the answers are there. The answers to my questions like why do I hide when they pass by? Why do I hold my breath and pray to whatever god will hear me that they pass me by? Who are they? I can’t even answer that simple question. They come, I hide. Why can’t I face them? I am not weak but I hide. All I get is pieces. They offer no comfort.

I don’t know why I look for those pieces, but I don’t think I can stop. I don’t want to think what will happen if I stop. What happens if I hide to long? What happens if I stop? Why can’t I stop? God help me I need answers...my answers. Why do I hide? Why do I look? Please God let them pass me by.

Don’t breathe. Don’t breathe. Don’t breathe. I am not here. I am nothing. Keep moving. Keep moving. Don’t stop...Oh God don’t stop! Don’t breathe. Move. Move. Thank you God. Keep moving. Keep moving.

I can breathe. I am redeemed. Now to search. There is something here in this place, I can feel it. A piece, maybe The Piece. How did they hide it? Who are they? Why did they hide it? Why do I have to find these answers? Do they lead to my answers?

Stop talking to yourself.

Find the piece.

--------------------------------------

Some brief notes: The scene is an abandoned building. I have made the assumption that given the focus is less on combat and more on hiding that combat comes later in the game thus the above scene. I have also made the assumption that the puzzles and exploration lead to answers, but given your theme of vagueness rather than determinism have gone the way I did. The religious aspect purely comes from an old saying "There are no athiests in foxholes". If I have stepped into the wrong rabbit hole with this piece let me know and I will create a different track.

Some separate notes:

@Cassandra. If you are not a writer, consider it - you have talent.

@Meagan. I hate doting mothers, but I really do like the element of the scar opening up, you have me thinking. Kudos.
@ MeaganD,
The idea's of the labyrinth and the monsters reacting to the bellsound/tower are quite good. However I am not fond of the main character being a mother, nothing against them personally! ;). I find the idea of an old man much more original and appealing.

@ Stormynature,

I like your ideas allot, especially the one regarding the game world actually being one "bad dream". Maybe you can come up with some interesting ideas to complement that one. BTW, to come back at an earlier question: as off now we did not plan any interaction with NPC's besides the actual enemies. Well, killing the player is actually pretty "one-sided" ;)

My biggest goal with this game is to tell a story trough it's immersive environmental and visual design, without actually needing interactive dialogs. Having said that, I still like the idea of the player finding "snippets", "letters" or maybe a "diary/journal" inside the game world to make the player feel more immersed.

@ MeaganD,
The idea's of the labyrinth and the monsters reacting to the bellsound/tower are quite good. However I am not fond of the main character being a mother, nothing against them personally! ;). I find the idea of an old man much more original and appealing.

I think you got the mother mixed up with the daughter :P
Ok, as I didn't really describe the universe i had in my head in my previous post I'd like to do it now:

The main character is a man around his 30s, who wakes up in the cabinet as described in the previous post. After a while he starts listening a monstrous whispering in his head telling him he's a murderer. He also has a kind of premonition knowing dangerous thing that will happen but moments before they actually happen. Something like a sense of deja vu. Trying to find out what's going on he starts following animals which seem to want to lead him somewhere (wolfs, deers, butterflies). After a while and while has gathered a lot of pieces of his story it is revealed that his wife was murdered. Denying to believe that he was the murderer and while the voice in his head has become almost constant a creature emitting a red-light aura appears and starts to haunt him. He gets away and now the voice is telling him to go to the tower. Although he has never listened to the voice before he decides to go and find out whatever is happening.

And that's all . happy.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement