🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mods, ScreamTracker, and Impulse Tracker

Started by
98 comments, last by Protricity 22 years, 7 months ago
Most end users must have come across these music formats one time or another right? Well, if you havent, then basically they are music formats similar to MIDI which use wave samples as instruments and produce high quality synthesized music. My question is directed to those who know about Mods, S3Ms, and ITs. If I wanted to play music in my C++/OpenGL game, how could I implement a module to play these formats? If anyone knows any useful way to impliment these music files into Visual C++ (or anything) please post your information here. Thanks! I always wondered why highend games dont use these music files.... They can be much smaller than MP3s, much much longer too. They can be loopable, very useful for games. and so on...
Advertisement
http://www.fmod.org. The best API to play all these lovely files.
high end games DO use these formats...e.g. Unreal Tournament
fmod kinda sucks... no wonder is soo cheap...
anyway, I''ve never played UT, but I''ve played plenty of others and none used mods or ITs...
anyone know another way to play these files?
I am a tracker, and I make .IT mods. I''ve been looking for games to write for, but if the game can''t play them, then there''s a problem. ;-)

My suggestion is, and this might be a little round-about, but it could work: Just find the source code for a tracking program and use it in the game''s code. Find out how it plays the song. Steal code, and _viola_, you''re playing mods in your game.
Thx for the tip anonymous,
Im a programmer looking for IT WRITERS!
HA!
so, if ur interested in helping me out with my game, gimme an email (asulin@email.arizona.edu)

Ta
If i was you, id use a better program like fruity loops to make music. its more powerful than most of the trackers and at least it has better manuals and implementation of your song. You can use mididevices and songs are made much faster. The best feature is that you can export wav or mp3! IMHO Those are better formats to use in your own games. Well... these things are a matter of opinion, but after i tried fruity im all sold out.

Xewren

P.S. I dont advertise it for money, lol. Just wanted to give you something to think about.
hmm, sounds cool, and looks cool, but its NOT FREE WARE!!!
hehe, yeah, Im a cheap bastard.
mabey I''ll demo it.
ModPlug is still free, so I''ll need a good reason to switch to Fruity Loops ($$$!!!, no, j/k)
thx though!
If any of you guys want to actually get serious about makeing music for games in the future you''re going to have to move beyond trackers. Sure trackers are fun but the quality is very low compared to todays standards. I''m sorry to break the hearts of trackers but trackers aren''t used as often anymore in games. It would be better to find some program that deals with midi/audio and work with sample programs such as Gigastudio or at least move on to soundfonts. A nice synth would do well these days. I personally work with a Roland XV 3080, I use sequence midi then apply patches to the tracks, then record to wav for more editing and then finally mastering each track, mixdown audio then usually convert to mp3 for distribution. Trust me my friends, you guys will need a lot more than a tracker to make music for the future of gaming. Unless you''re into old school projects.
JAXX:

Do you have anything, we can hear? I would like to hear some of your work, if its done in so much better way. Im just curious of results made with midi and soundbanks. I havent heard much good stuff made in that way. Maybe System Shock (1) intro, but... well im open to any new ideas.

Xewren

OH! i found your address in your profile, have to listen...

Edited by - Xewren on October 27, 2001 4:32:56 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement