🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mods, ScreamTracker, and Impulse Tracker

Started by
98 comments, last by Protricity 22 years, 7 months ago
Claymore, thanks for the address to the soundfonts, I actually have a few of those. I especially like the Protrax Classical Guitar. It''s nice, especially since I don''t have an acoustic around. Thanks for the feedback, yeah, the Streets of Rage song wasn''t close to my best. It was just a fun little song that I did in short time. like this one I did today (same soundfont)

http://jaxx.vgmidi.com/originals/mp3s/jx-rage.mp3

these songs I do only for fun. You''ll that a lot of the stuff on my site is more on the "just ok" side with the exception of a few, mainly because I started this music stuff a year ago today :D, and because I spend more time on more important projects such as http://www.majesticmix.com
and the demo I''m preparing to make.

Claymore, thats a nice little didy (Star Empire) you made, although I can tell it''s a quicky, the drums are annoyingly too loud but I know you were trying to prove a point so I''m not going to judge you for a quickie. I can also tell you have some good composing skills, you''ve got some great tricks up your sleve and I''d like to hear some other stuff you''ve done so post em up bro.
Advertisement
goto http://hammersound.net
and get:
Sounds/soundfonts library/pipe/Kurzweil flutemumn
Sounds/soundfonts library/organ/Jeux 1.4

http://www.florestan.hpg.ig.com.br/soundfonts/060_Florestan_French_Horns.zip

I''ll post more when one buggy ftp server starts to work again :/

The new Streets of rage tune is better than the previous one. Mixed well and even with a noticeable old japanese console feeling.
I''ve got also the demo of ProjectMMs gold edition 2CD - One winged angel is extremely cool but the noise in martellato strings! Other great melody is -don''t remember whose- prelude. Very nice presentation.

You''re right about those drums in SE. I don''t know how could I missed that. It was my first electronic tune so I don''t have much sense for banance in this area.
I''ll post some more music when the ftp server is up again.
-Claymore-
.... No one will even comment on my brilliant idea....
Protricity: Nice idea But the music would have to be very repetetive in order to make it possible. Some drumline with very few variations and simple melodies, nothing too harmonic because elseway it''d be too hard to make a jump from anywhere. Then timpani and evil minor chords would do the thrick. Still, I can''t imagine this to be used more than one or twice in the game. Elseway the overall impression from the soundtrack would suffer from such kind of music.

JAXX:

The server is up again so..

Harp, steel guitar, church organ
ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/samples/sf2.rar

I''ve fairly good impression from Roland''s ensemble strings so I don''t know if you''ll need other. But look at this example please and tell me if it does something better than Roland. (I rather tracked this to prevent you die laughing to my live performance)

ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/samples/strings6.mp3

All my reasonably sounding music, more or less chronologically (newest on the top)
ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/music/mirror.mp3
ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/music/summer_theme.mp3
ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/music/dm2-29.mp3 (mid->mp3)
ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/music/dm2_27.mp3 (mid->mp3)
ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/music/kingdms2.mp3
ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/music/kingdms1.mp3
ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/music/nuke.mp3 (mid->track->mp3)

Kingdms and older had still mono samples. Mirror and kingdms were supposed to be released also as tracks so there were sample size limitations. If you like any instrument used in these tunes, tell me and I''ll do what I can. And I''ll rather give you my email for that because your download schedule must be really long about now shrp@email.cz
-Claymore-
the strings are very good, but not as good as the strings on my synth (this is just my opinion though) but I like to to have different variety of instruments. Think of it like this. When you go to a live concert to watch 2 violinsts play, they violins don''t sound exactly the same. I like to have different layers of the same instrument but different samples to make things more "realistic" and so it doesn''t all sound the same. So I could definatly use those strings. As for your originals. I''m impressed by some of your works. You have a different style than what I''m used to hearing. It''s rare to find people roaming around these boards and over at gamasutra.com with actual skills (no offense to any artists out there) because these boards are sort of deseased with wannabe game musicians (not saying I''m any different :D). I''ll continue to listen to your works and if any instrumen pops out that I like I''ll let you know

excellent stuff bro
I'm glad you liked the music. Sure it's different - it's tracked

Here are the strings

ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/samples/martellato.rar (3MB)
ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/samples/slegato.rar (13MB)
ftp://194.236.28.166/claymore/samples/tremolo.rar (11MB)

They should sound more realistic than Roland strings (it's actually a mix of Roland strings and Squidfont string ensembles - I'd not mix them thinking it's a degradation). The problem is that if I had to convert them into sf2, I'd loose my nerves. (When converting the harp from tracker format, I thought I'll eat my keyboard. Then I luckily found the right CD) So the rar archives above are modules with tracker instruments inside.

Download a Modplug tracker from modplug.com Open the file with Modplug and save both instruments as impulse tracker instruments (iti extension). Then go to the sample view and save each sample in wav format. Close Modplug and run Awave studio (www.fmjsoft.com). Open one iti file, rightclick and "save as" as sf2 soundbank. You'll most likely have to restart Awave in order to be able to convert the second iti file - demo limitations. Then open the sf2 file with Vienna, load the wav samples into it and create a new stereo instrument, based on the mono iti->sf2 version.
Notice that legato instruments have quite smooth attack. That's because they are supposed to be combined with martellato - velocity sensitive attack is more natural and you can create many other techniques combining these two.
If you have any troubles with using Modplug, tell me and I'll explain everything. It should be intuitive but...

I recommend you to start with tremolo. This instrument conversion is nothing enjoyable and I'm completely sure that the tremolo has the best sound compared to Roland and so it will be most enjoable to work at.

Edited by - Claymore on November 25, 2001 11:11:35 AM
-Claymore-
All the original soundfont music pieces are very awesome...

I have tried to make original sound font my self as well.

What some reliable tools for making quality soundfonts?? and midi composer ptograms?

I really like easy to use programs such as NWC.

Went to that soundfont libarary site, I couldn''t find the right program to open the files.

Email: c3ooo@hotmail.com

Keep up the good music!
Not busy ?? visit http://everything.at/bs
The program that opens the soundfonts is Vienna soundfont studio by Creative labs. It''s distributed together with all AWE32 and newer Creative soundcards. If your you have other soundcard, you''ll most likely have to use another programm and convert the soundfonts from sf2 into dls format. That awave mentioned before is good for converting but demoversion supports only single instrument export.
-Claymore-
That helps,

so, what "program" do I need to convert?

I have cooledit 2K . . .

is that program any useful?
Not busy ?? visit http://everything.at/bs
Cool edit 2000 is a very good wave editor but it can convert only audio files, not any instruments. So download that Awave studio from http://www.fmjsoft.com
-Claymore-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement