🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Software based 3D effects

Started by
2 comments, last by Ghastly 24 years, 5 months ago
Ive been programming my own game lately and I was wondering how to implement colored lighting, translucency, and electric effects. But I want to do like in Half-Life where you dont have to have a 3D accelerator its just software based. I already know how to do it GL. Im using the Quake1 engine. (same as Half-Life so I know its possible) Edited by - Ghastly on 1/10/00 6:13:10 PM
Advertisement
Well - not quite, Half-Life used a hybrid Quake1/Quake2 engine - that might have some effect on how it was done with them. Of course GL is easy - software is a lot tougher. For electricity HL used sprites, Im sure you could figure a way to get sprites to display along a traceline()
or something like that. Translucency is something else, and Im experimenting with that currently.
Coloured lighting Im not an expert on, it''s possible that the lightmaps might need fiddling with, and definately extra fields to store those RGB values.
Oh well, just to get you thinking

Take it easy,

-Mezz
I seem to recall the Q1 engine to be 8-bit colour (?) which seriously complicate matters when talking colored lightning and various types of blending.

(In other words: Don''t expect anything from Halflife to be "easily" achievable using the Q1 engine - I expect halflife is far more Q2 than Q1 (didn''t know it had Q1 in it at all??))

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
Hi,
the HL-engine bases on the Q1-engine, but uses only 30% of the original code, so it''s totally different. Just have a look at the animations, while Q1 uses complete pre-defined meshes, HL uses skeletal animations. This and much more features have been added to the Q1-engine.

CU

Graphix Coding @
Skullpture Entertainment
Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement