🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Science of Game Writing

Started by
2 comments, last by Landfish 22 years, 8 months ago
Hey guys! Wav, SunandShadow! Game writing is still in it''s infancy. My own failed attempts have led me up against terms yet-to-be-coined, and concepts so alien to ANYONE that I can''t sleep until I sketch them out. Don''t people want a community in which they can discuss these new concepts and work out brand new ways of thinking about story? Has any of that been going on here? I''m very proud to see that Gamedev is STILL the only messageboard that gives any kind of credit to (exclusive) game writers. ====== "The unexamined life is not worth living." -Socrates "Question everything. Especially Landfish." -Matt
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Not only does Gamedev.net respect that there are those who are dedicated to writing for games, but there are companies that do just that ([timidly] like mine). This particular sub-forum is definitely my first visit online every day.

What you suggested is basically what people talk about here. We keep ourselves busy considering the possiblities of structuring storylines in interesting ways and the mess (or absolute coolness) we can make doing so.

Occasionally we''ll even notice that there are other parts to making games and that programmers don''t like having to write HUGE A.I. scripts for our ideas about living worlds... bummer

www.spforge.com - God created the world in seven days? I think I can one-up him!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Hey LF! Long time no see!

I think if there''s any place, it''d be Writing. I''d love to hear what you''ve been working on. Have you moved outside of games as we know them in some areas?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Hi Landfish! Welcome Back!

Are you talking about story generation, or what? There''s a group of people working on that, altough most of them are not writers. Me, I''m busy learning how to manage a design team - it''s like juggling disapearing reapearing balls - while their disapeared they get lost or you forget about them and they land on your head. But I''m having a lot of fun, and it''s a hell of an ego-trip.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement