🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

i don't just draw animé!

Started by
3 comments, last by matthew_harding 22 years, 8 months ago
hi.. just a quick post; i don''t just draw in the animé style! there''s a few examples of ''serious'' work here.. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ron.harding/serious.html and if you don''t know what i''m talking about, well.. i''m an artist who''ll work for free on freeware projects (and will discuss terms of shareware/full-price/commercial projects).. if you want to see some examples of artwork, why not check out http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ron.harding, or e-mail with a description of what you want drawn. - Matthew harding (fatal_strike@hotmail.com)
Advertisement
some advice:

I think you´re not ready for commercial/shareware projects yet, I can recommend the book "Drawing on the right side of the brain" it will really help improve your drawing.

and keep at it
I''m an artist (hate that term) myself, and would like to make some comments and tips.

I see that there is still a hint of anime in there. By that, I mean those images look cartoonish. By serious, do you mean western (comic) style, or portraits? Comics are cheap and you should look into some of them. Beware though, alot of them have anime influences now.

Exhibit A:

Some of the drawing guidelines may be missing, but it''s mostly there. I did this in about a minute--at work, so it''s not my best. I tried to make as generic a person as possible.

Tips:

I think you need to focus on the nose and face shape for now. To be honest, your noses look like limp penises. They remind me of Bill Clinton''s. The problem is not the size, but how they are drawn. The end is way too round! Also, you don''t need to draw the nose that far up near the eyes. You should draw from the bottom, and then draw up as far as you need.

You also need to make your guys happier. They look thoroughly depressing. This can be achieved by removing the lines or creases that connect the side of the nose to the side of the mouth (don''t know what it''s called). You can have a hint of it, but too much makes them look aged and tired.

Remember, the more lines you add, the older they look. Remove those bags under their eyes. You can have a hint, but don''t make them too defined (the exception being when drawing old people).

Also, your lips are too narrow in width. Combine this with frowing, and they look like they are crying.

For the mouth, you generally don''t need to show the lips too much. You can use the indentation above the upper lip and the crease between the chin and the lower lip to show the lips.

On the face, spacing (arrangement) is crucial. If something is off, it just doesn''t look like. Even though anime defies realistic proportions, everything is arranged just right so the people don''t look odd. In that corner 1/4 side profile, the distance between the nose and the mouth is too wide. Again, looks like he depressed. (BTW, notice how subtle changes to the face can relay various moods).

Hopefully you find this constructive criticism.

Jinushaun
Nation Leprechaun
you know. its a funny thing actully. I talked with this guy a while back and he brought up the funniest thing i have ever heard. "Anime is serious artwork"
LOL.
isnt that just the funniest thing. you know. all those really pretty cartoons that we see from import are just kids drawing quick sketches.

Dont sell the anime too short man. if you are good at it, there is a real place for it in the game development industry. especially if you intend to ever go to japan and produce for consoles. with all these bitchin consoles coming out, the games and their art styles arent changing really fast. Most games that come our way will still be anime in one form or another because people want to see it.

I can draw anime, somewhat

I took the picture with a digital camera.... so the quality is low.... I seriously suggest buying books from the How To Draw Manga series if you want to draw anime, they are very good and they jumpstarted me to that. Just search on Amazon.com or something for them.

Sorry I had to edit so many times, the link wasn't working

Edited by - Blackstream on October 14, 2001 2:26:12 AM
-Blackstream Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you take my virus?-The Mad HackerBlackstream's Webpage

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement