🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

PC Paintbrush

Started by
4 comments, last by bridget6684 22 years, 8 months ago
I was just wondering if anyone here uses or has ever heard of PC Paintbrush. I have version 1.0 of it that came out in 1993, and personlly I like it and still find it quite useful. Sure it''s not the most advanced thing in the world(I''ll probally actually be getting the GIMP for Windows soon), but It''s still a good program, especially for simple stuff. It doesn''t have all the advanced stuff that most of us have grown acustomed to in Photoshop and paintshop pro, it''s actually kind of like MS Paint on steroids. I was also wondering if there has been any new releases since version 1.0 in ''93.
Advertisement
v1.0 in ''93? That can''t be right... I had PC Paintbrush on my IBM XT in ''88! It was developed ZSoft and published by Microsoft if memory serves me correctly. I had another version from much later - still came on 5.25" floppies though. I still consider it a superior product to MSPaint, even in its earliest incarnation.

I produced my first animation using Paintbrush and another MS-published application called Show Partner (the predecessor to Power Point). It was also my first introduction to scripting... fond memories. That''s what got me hooked on programming.

Another cool program was NeoPaint by NeoSoft - for DOS. I tried the recent Windows version and didn''t like it. Oh, and how can I forget Deluxe Paint by EA, I believe (from the Amiga to the PC); it had animation capabilities, and was used by EA to create the sprites for quite a few of their earlier titles.

Yeah, I used to be a 2D sprite wizard...
we are talking about windows 3 something included paintbrush, right?

..well.. made my first cg ever with that... that game project didn´t get very far though

Oluseyi: Heh, a company I did graphics work for used NeoPaint in DOS as their main art program. It was a pretty damn good program, actually. It had all of the features I needed to get the work I had to do done.

You say you used to be a 2D sprite wizard, eh? You ever done any 2D tile art? Me and my character artist are currently looking for someone to help with some tile art and level design for our current game, Rivalled Reign. As a matter of fact, if anyone would like to do some tile art for the game, please let me know. The website is at http://www.neonstar.net/reign, so send me an e-mail if you''re interested. You can also inquire steve if you want to know more about the artistic side of the project.

Man, thinking about NeoPaint brings back memories of the old days

dave

--
david@neonstar.net
neonstar entertainment
--david@neonstar.netneonstar entertainment
Well maybe it was in 88, the 1.0 version for windows must have came out in 93
in case you''re wondering what happened to pc paintbrush, i''m 99% certain that corel bought it and it''s evolved into photo-paint.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement