🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Story of a Dragon, need ideas...

Started by
13 comments, last by TechnoGoth 11 years, 5 months ago

Have only just now discovered your related thread in Game Design - Can you insert a link to it in your original post for the benefit of others who also may have missed it please, as it bears information in it relevant to the discussion at hand.

Steampunk Dragons - What would they make?

Advertisement

[quote name='Stormynature' timestamp='1358927728' post='5024629']
Have only just now discovered your related thread in Game Design - Can you insert a link to it in your original post for the benefit of others who also may have missed it please, as it bears information in it relevant to the discussion at hand.

Steampunk Dragons - What would they make?
[/quote]

Thats a good thing to keep in mind, I'll consider it for future posts. However, I tend to purposefully try to leave the questions somewhat vague. My intention with the previous post, was specifically steam punk items, like a jet pack, elevators, stone steam powered doors, etc... I.e. where would they use steam?

For this post, I've been hoping more for lifestyle, social structures, etc... I have some ideas on it, but I like finding more, to help give them a richer history and deeper nature and less War Beast. We have our Humanity, what is the Dragon's Dragonity?

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

One more thing to add to the plot, maybe not directly related to the dragons is "why would humans want to go to war with dragons?"

If what humans are after is also a source of dragon's powers then this can be a starting point to create a culture of dragons based around this relic.

What I have suggested is probably no different than a movie plot like Avatar's or tons of other such stories, but this is one obvious building block that needs to be there.

I have seen most games fallout because of a weak reasoning. And specially since this is an RTS, sound reasoning does matter.

Now for example, say humans are after a volcano, called Orodruin (for convenience), which contains a seamingly endless supply of gold, but this is what also powers the dragon kingdom i.e. source of their unending fire, then a dragon culture would involve

1) shrines built out of lava.

2) schools where the power of fire control and use is taught.

3) architecture where lava is basically used to extract and build necessary elements for building them

4) clothes that draw heat force from nearby volcanic activities and rejuvenate dragon health supplies or basic fire power for that matter.

5) caves inside volcano for home but furnished with all necessities a dragon can need

6) dragon festivals that include occasional drop-the-ring-in-the-volcano festivities. ;-)

Hope this gives some direction to your ideas.

[quote name='NewDisplayName' timestamp='1358956178' post='5024750']
Now for example, say humans are after a volcano, called Orodruin (for convenience), which contains a seamingly endless supply of gold, but this is what also powers the dragon kingdom i.e. source of their unending fire, then a dragon culture would involve
1) shrines built out of lava.
2) schools where the power of fire control and use is taught.
3) architecture where lava is basically used to extract and build necessary elements for building them
4) clothes that draw heat force from nearby volcanic activities and rejuvenate dragon health supplies or basic fire power for that matter.
5) caves inside volcano for home but furnished with all necessities a dragon can need
6) dragon festivals that include occasional drop-the-ring-in-the-volcano festivities. ;-)
[/quote]

That is a very good point. I like the shear amount of content you came up with for your example.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

Anthropomorphic Dragons…

What if the dragon society was similar to sea lions? Each rockery (city/town/stronghold/etc..) has a single alpha male known as a great dragon and operates as an independent city state. The females are all members of the great dragon’s harem and the other adult males are known as betas. Young males are highly competitive and fight regularly for dominance with each other. Young males who are defeated in a dominance battle lose a small part of the essence known as having their wings clipped (to steal an idea from bleach). Once a dragon’s wings have been clipped it can no longer fly or become a great dragon, they are forced to remain betas the rest of their life. Young males who survive long enough to reach adulthood without having their wings clipped either challenge the alpha for control of the rockery or are driven out to form their own rockery. Beta males continue to serve the rockery generally in a menial capacity. They are have to rely on stealth and trickery to form relationships with the female dragons and if they are caught they are punished severely by the alpha.

Since the young males are busy battling for dominance most of the import position and governance of the rockery falls to the female dragons. They run the council, handling medicine, engineering, science, and trade. They have a strong sense of community and hold a great deal of respect in the world. Because the males are highly territorial the trade caravans between rockeries are always crewed by woman and ambassadors are also always female. It’s also not uncommon for ambitions young females unable to get ahead to leave with lesser males driven out in order to command positions of importance in a new rockery.

Example of a rockery:

4461247.jpg?574

space-fantasy-art.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement