🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

yo people! why bothering time for an complete new engine when you can get 500+ engine

Started by
19 comments, last by SigwarthSoft 24 years, 5 months ago
hmmmmm, dammm, the subject didn''t fit entirely. Well who cares. I just want to say that why bothering making a complete new engine while you can download (most of them) 500+ engines! I hope i''m not running behind with this message but i know a lot people who don''t know this link!http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html THE 3D ENGINES LIST! If you cannot get on the site; you will have to reload it by clicking in the text box message (IE) or location (netscape) en then select everything and then simply hit enter! i hope you people have got something on this link... Sig
Advertisement
For shits & giggles, baby!

-Erik L. Elmore
-Erik L. Elmore
> why bothering making a complete new engine while you can download (most of them) 500+ engines!

Since i''m working on my own engine, i can give my opinion on your question. None of these 500+ engines fit my needs. Most of them are based on a "level" (ala Quake) system, which is not what i want. Then, from the rest, remove the paying ones, bad OS/API, not fast enough, etc..
Nothing left..that''s all

Y.
why bothering making a complete new engine while you can download (most of them) 500+ engines!

For the kicks?
nevermind... it could help for learning and for a base...
Siggy
I prefer to write my own 3D engine. There are many reasons for this, but the best reason is to learn about 3d! Another thing is that the other APIs take awhile to learn. With your own you know exactly how to use it.

altair
altair734@yahoo.com
crawlegend.iwarp.com
altairaltair734@yahoo.comwww.geocities.com/altair734
I agree, learning how to use someone else''s engine can be an exercise in frustration. You might expect something when you call a certain function name, but due to quirks, bad design, etc. something else might happen instead.
<<
the other APIs take awhile to learn. With your own you know exactly how to use it.
>>

This argument doesn''t make sense. How long does it take to create a good 3D engine? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? How long would it take to learn the API of an existing 3D engine? A couple months at most, depending on the engine.

If you make your own 3D engine, you''ll know how it works, but you''ll have to learn OpenGL or Direct3D. That in itself would take months. After you''ve done that you''ll have to design and implement a 3D engine. The odds are that you won''t be able to make one any better than what''s already out there. If an engine is open source, then you can tweak things here and there if it''s needed.

Make an engine if you want to make an engine. Use someone else''s if you want to make a game. Why reinvent the wheel to build a car?

Josh
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
But the other side of the question is, you don''t know what is a good engine, or what you need from an engine, until you''ve attempted to build your own first. That goes for a 2D engine as well. If you just go out and grab one you can''t make a knowledgeable opinion on it.

Now, you don''t have to go and build the fully generic, 3D engine to learn these skills, but it would be very valuable to learn at least the fundamentals first.
well, if you want my opinion (hell, who does!?!, but anyway), i agree with Josh in that if you want to make a game, you should use somebody else''s engine. BUT, that depends.. if you got 5 dedicated people working, sticking with someone else''s engine is a crappy deal. In that case, a much better game can be made with a specialy talered engine. but really, for a small project, making an engine would take all the fun OUT of it, cause it takes ''bout six month (plus another six for an editor). that reminds me, anybody want to work with me on this "engine" i''m trying to make? actually, i''m still on the editor, so, sorry folks, got nothing to show off yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement