🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D Shooter?

Started by
4 comments, last by Esap1 24 years, 5 months ago
I was wondering if anyone here has attempted to write a 3d Shooter in DX? jus wondering?
Advertisement
All sorts of people attempt it, but no-one finishes it. If you''re considering starting one, I''d urge you to read my articles about why you shouldn''t.

Altho I do remember seeing in the news that someone (or probably multiple someones) did a port of Quake to DX.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios - home of Quaternion, 2000 GDC Indie Games Fest Finalist!
www.spin-studios.com
Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
Just to Inform, Im not one of those people who say, "Im going to Make QUAKE4". I really dislike those people
Ive made three Smooth Scrolling 2D games with My own graphics engine(Hate Everyones elses). Also, Ive Modeled almost have of the main World, and its not looking too bad soo far
But yes, There is a high chance that I wont finish it, but I work on this game atleast 5 hours a day with 5 other people, and HOPE to have it out in 6 months
Yes, me and about 5 other people are making one now. It uses D3D 7 for acceleration. we aren;t that far into it, but right now it loads levels made in Qe radiant , the quake 3 level editor. we still have a long ways to go toward making a game, still need visibility detirmination( right now we load the uncompiled .map format so we need to next load .bsp format, i would appreciate anyone who could give me a link to quake''s .bsp format) and sound, and collision detection, and ai and all that good stuff, so right now i would say we are in pre-alpha, just the basic player fly around in world thing. So it will be awhile, but yes there are many people making 3D shooter using dx, many commercial compianies, so i beg to differ with mason, that many 3d shooters based on dX(ded to be more specific) will be finished, and released.

my 2 cents,
Nomad
i am also workin on a game wit 5 oda people. i hope dat it will be out in bout 6 months max

yo friend,
Oak1
Me and Oak workin on Ours, Yet ours isnt taking the exact same path as Quake3. And also, were about as far into it, maybe slightly farther than you,Im glad someone else usin DX7, coo,
Later,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement