🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Opening meshes on Opengl

Started by
1 comment, last by dirtydevil 24 years, 5 months ago
I am beginning a game using opengl and cannot figure out how to open a mesh. Doesn''t exist any lib or stuff to open comercial meshes (like .3ds)? If not, I have to study myself the mesh file specification and open/threat it or make my meshes by hand on source code, what is ugly and not functional, so I really hope that exists some stuff to help on that. If anyone knows anything about it, please let me know. Thanks a lot
http://www.stas.net/rafael/icq: 11915640
Advertisement
I''ve never really used OpenGL. And I seriously doubt there is a library included among the normal OpenGL libraries. IT might be in the SDK somewhere.

But I have run across several programs that convert .3DS files to OpenGL C++ code. Like arrays and stuff. Look for 3D File converters. I think Crossroads does it, but I think it puts it into basic C++ code into arrays and stuff.

Hope this helps,
OpenGL does not support natively any file format. This is not a bad thing as it lets the programmers create a file format that is best suited to their needs. A lot of game companies create their own file format and build a plugin for their modelling tool to convert models to their own format. This lets them use powerful programs like 3DS Max to create the models and have a format that caters to their specific needs.

A generic, all-encompassing file has its bonuses, but by examining your own needs and creating your own file format for models you will end up with smaller files, be able to read them faster, and be able to render them faster. As an example, Quake2''s .md2 format stores triangle strip and fan information which allows for much faster renderer of triangles.

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement