🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using Agisoft Photoscan to make 3d Models

Started by
2 comments, last by sgt_barnes 10 years, 3 months ago

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to use Photoscan to create realistic 3d models and how accurate it can get?

From what I have seen on the website it seems to make great models with realistic texture. It looks like it would be possible to use this system and save a multitude of time. Just looking for some guidance from anyone who has played with it or thinks it is worth it.

Thanks Everyone -Ethan Leslie

www.Rev6Studios.com

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him"

Advertisement
What do you mean with "How accurate can it get?"

Behind PhotoScan stands a surveyor-grade photogrammetry solution. It will easily generate a point cloud with one point per pixel, with milimeter accuracy. You will probably need some experience to make optimal photos to produce optimal results. However, to make really good models from it, manual work will still be required.

They offer a demo license and sample data, so just go ahead and play with it! ;-)

What do you mean with "How accurate can it get?"

Behind PhotoScan stands a surveyor-grade photogrammetry solution. It will easily generate a point cloud with one point per pixel, with milimeter accuracy. You will probably need some experience to make optimal photos to produce optimal results. However, to make really good models from it, manual work will still be required.

They offer a demo license and sample data, so just go ahead and play with it! ;-)

I suppose my question has changed. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with it and importing the models and how much work is needed. How much re topology is usually needed if any and how are the uv mappings once you import them.

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him"

There was a short article in Edge #264 by a small team from poland, "The Astronatuts", which use PhotoScan to model a huge world for their game:

http://www.theastronauts.com/

Maybe that helps you a little.

I sadly enough never extracted model data with PhotoScan, the colored point cloud has always been good enough for my purposes...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement