🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What animation software do the pros use?

Started by
3 comments, last by kburkhart84 10 years, 3 months ago

I don't know much about the art side. So what software would the pros use to make an animation or cutscene, trailer etc?

Advertisement

Depends on the type...

Most stuff that has some form of effects are modified in AfterEffects. You can use Maya, 3d Studio, and now even photoshop for inline editing of videos as well. If you want something more rendered some game engines will even do it for you. So, we really need to know more specifics of what you want to do.

Depends on the type...

Most stuff that has some form of effects are modified in AfterEffects. You can use Maya, 3d Studio, and now even photoshop for inline editing of videos as well. If you want something more rendered some game engines will even do it for you. So, we really need to know more specifics of what you want to do.

Thanks, I've just noticed the sticky of software. I was just interested in how the animations are made.

Well, more or less the ones I stated are the primary ones. There are others, blender is a big one as well

If we knew what engine(or API if any) you are using to make a game, we could give more specific suggestions. Example, if you are using UDK or the freshly released UE4, you would be best with using the Matinee editor that is integrated into the software, which renders real time the cinematics you set up.

If you are using Unity, you could either script it out(for real time usage), or pre-render a video and render that in your game. Many other engines/APIs have some sort of video rendering capabilities as well so you could go that route with them as well. In many cases though, you would script it out in your game itself, using game graphics real time.

Assuming you want to go with pre-rendered video, Blender is the best "free" way to go about it, especially if you happen to be using it for creation of 3d models for your game. You could use higher end software as well if you have access to it. 3dsmax and maya can also do video rendering. Blender has a video editor integrated as well, though other software does not and so you would have to get a video editor in order to put together your scenes/video.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement