🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Loking for handmade tree textures

Started by
2 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 2 months ago

Hi people, let me apologize if I'm breaking any forum rule, I couldn't find a post guideline.

I'm currently searching for terrain and tree handmade textures looking like the example below for a game I'm making as a hobby.

Any png, link or advice is welcome.

lADtfco.jpg

Thx in advance.

PS: I'm not afraid of gimp or blender but being a programmer makes it the last resource :P

Advertisement
A first place to look if you're interested in learning how to make those types of textures would be the Polycount Wiki Environment Page. This tutorial (linked from the wiki foliage page) in particular can be adapted to tree and leaf foliage as well as grass as shown.

A first place to look if you're interested in learning how to make those types of textures would be the Polycount Wiki Environment Page. This tutorial (linked from the wiki foliage page) in particular can be adapted to tree and leaf foliage as well as grass as shown.

Thx for the links, I'll check them out.

Hi,

Often the objects and their textures look handmade in games but are actually made procedural by a coder or taken from a library of a game engine, company, or organization. Some XNA and Blender developers have really excelled in this specific area. A few of them make their libraries open source, too, so there is a source to learn how it is done. Sometimes people port the coding or work it interoperable with their own coding language, as some game engines allow that.

Since you wrote that this was research as part of your hobby game developing, I would encourage you to find all the existing libraries that you can to implement your game code. As a useful tip, look for libraries with an SDK that comes with them for maximum efficient workflow.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement