🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A good platform for development team

Started by
10 comments, last by Orymus3 10 years, 1 month ago

Hi!

We are two guys developping a game, I deal with the code and he deals with the graphics. The problem is that he lives in France and I live in the Philippines. We are searching for a good platform (on internet and free) that could be like a "virtual studio" to update each other easily.

On a previous game we used google doc with a spreadsheet, but I'm not satisfied with it.

My requirements are:

- be able to send files on the platform to be downloaded (to send builds, images...etc)

- be able to post images (visible on the screen directly)

- be able to do a sort of journal to update each other and with a email alert

- (optional) be able to do drawings (to expose ideas and concepts)

I hope what I'm trying to explain is not too confuse.

Any idea is welcome!

Advertisement

Dropbox. (picking one of several decent options out of a hat)

Use regular email for email alerts. Yes, it's an extra step, but it's free and reliable.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, Vampire the Maquerade: Bloodlines

On hobbyist projects i use simple tools.. google docs + dropbox + github

you really need version control for code. who did what, and no chance to lose code because something got ripped out.

it's a massive pain to "undo" changes on dropbox. don't put code on dropbox. smile.png

I'm not really expecting you to be avoiding source control, it's just in case you aren't or simply haven't tried it yet. It's popular for a reason!

Also, github gives you free private accounts as long as you are a member of an educational institution. I'm a student with 5 private repos. Very handy.

(even though all my hobby projects are public)

I haven't really used it myself and I don't know if it is any good, but koding (https://koding.com/) might be something of interest. Not sure if this is something worthwhile on the art side though or for sharing images.

Share the same Virtual Machine on a server ? Work in the same tools, when one guy finishes the other just opens the same application and continues.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz

See also the thread "Project Management Tools," in the Production and Management forum. I've moved your post to Production and Management.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for all the propositions, I'll try them out.

Since we are just one programmer and one artist I think version control is not really needed.

ps: I post the topic in beginner's forum at first since we are both beginners : )

You will need version control, it's unwise to go any further without it.

There was a virtual office called (iirc) sandbox or something similar that replaced email and all office comms for remote teams but a quick search of google isn't bringing it up, maybe I got the name wrong. It had screen sharing, voice comms, memos, leave video messages with live screens, project planning and burndown, todo lists, bugtracking and scheduling. If I find it I'll post again, but have a search yourself. I'm sure there are others out there.

I think it was called basecamp, it looks like it costs (no idea what). I think evernote is a pay service to both have access too.

Google for free collaboration tools, there'll be something similar I'd imagine. TBH the google drive share isn't that bad if you were organised about it.

When you start to shop around for these tools you will realize how fragmented the project management space is. People will suggest you use things like Google Docs + Dropbox + other free tools. If you want to purchase you have the same basic problems Asana, Basecamp, Team Gant, MS Project and all the rest are either too expensive or aren't able to scale with your team. You will end up relying on email and spreadsheets as a "catch all." As you continue to develop games and they get more and more popular or if you start working with publishers etc. you will have to worry about financial and efficiency tracking. The tools others are suggesting don't even begin to touch on that so you will have to shell out more money and face more fragmentation and frustration.

We built Streamframe to solve all these things, We used it internally for all of our Game Dev projects for 10 years and it is finally available to the public. It's in closed beta at the moment, so you have the chance to guide the product's roadmap. Im giving it to you free because I like your story and we have been where you are. Check it out at www.Streamframe.com and get your first 3 seats free

Good Luck, I don't doubt you have the talent to make something amazing. Now I know you have the tool.

John

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement