🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

how to manage a dev team online? (Software)

Started by
5 comments, last by John Farrell 10 years, 1 month ago

I'm organising a collaboration between a few members - a simple project just to get practise as working as part of a team etc.

What's the best way to manage the source code?

I've created a github repo for the project but it is the first time I've used github for this purpose.

How do the other members push their completed code into the project etc?

Another issue is that I'm on holiday for 2 weeks from the middle of the week so I won't be around to control the repo. Can other members modify/add/push code to it in my absence?

Any tips guys?

Advertisement

Probably using VCS and some online host.

The same way you do, as long as they have the right permissions.

Another issue is that I'm on holiday for 2 weeks from the middle of the week so I won't be around to control the repo. Can other members modify/add/push code to it in my absence?

This is why Git is so good. You have a local copy so you could even work on your local branch and merge it when you're back. In the meanwhile, others can happily continue working on their repositories and push to the server.

Any tips guys?

Well, everyone who works on the project will have to learn to work with Git. It is however a very useful and generally used tool, so learning it will be useful. I won't give Git-specific advice here, you should just read some tutorials on the internet.

Can you clarify what you mean by VCS?

Can you clarify what you mean by VCS?

VCS means Version Control System. (Like Git.)

I'm warming to trello/gitbucket and skype to the point I'm dropping microsoft project and Jira. Trello gets better and better the more creative you get with it. Very impressed.

I also like Trello - as a design board for your game design ideas (or whatever else you want to use it for - lists of bugs to fix, or whatever), that you can share with and let other teammates edit (or just view). Trello is free.

I use hg as my VCS (hg is also called 'mercurial') - hg is also free. I then use hg to push my code to an online repository where others (only those who have permission) can pull it from.

The online code-hosting repository I like is called BitBucket. BitBucket is also free.

Well, I will be stressing you to go forward with the github.

They will be doing the exactly same thing i.e. the way you are pushing your completed code to the project

Yes other members can modify/add/push code in your absence, what you can do is take the local copy of the code, and you can keep working remotely once you get back you can push the code further into the system.

John Farrell

Technical Consultant

Rapidsoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement