🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Converting from 16bit to 24bit

Started by
2 comments, last by VisualLR 24 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I know how to convert from 24bit to 16bit, but when I tried writing an algorithm to convert the other way around, it didnt work... this is my 24bit -> 16bit code: b = (tempBuffer[(i*3)+0] >> 3); g = (tempBuffer[(i*3)+1] >> 3); r = (tempBuffer[(i*3)+2] >> 3); color = _RGB16BIT(r, g, b); ((unsigned short *)buffer) = color; so, how do I make this work the other way? thanks! Luis Sempe
visual@guate.net
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/6276

Advertisement
__int16 color16;
__int8 red = (color16 & (0x1f << 11)) >> 8;
__int8 green = (color16 & (0x3f << 5)) >> 3;
__int8 blue = (color16 & (0x1f << 0)) << 3;
...beware the 5-6-5 16 bit cards...
...use the ddpixelformat struct to find out where the bits are supposed to go/how long they are...
something along the lines of:
_int32 rmask = ddpixelformat.???RMask (don''t know the exact name, sorry.)
int i =0;
while(rmask & 1 != 1)
{
rmask >> 1;
i++:
}

while(rmask & 0x80 !=1)
{
rmask << 1;
i--;
}

_int8 R;
if(i > 0)
R = (tempBuffer & ddpixelformat.???RBitMask) >> i;
else
R = (tempBuffer & ddpixelformat.???RBitMask)<< -i;

So same thing for the other colors (you can just do the i,j,k (or whatever) calculation once upon initialization, and if most(all?) the cards just have the 565 or 555 code, even do away with the if(i>0) (should be >0 for R, <=0 for green (just treat it like it''s <0) and B < 0)) Now, use the 24bit macro.

Hope it helps.

Alexandre Moura
alexmoura@hotmail.com
Also, you''ll get banding if you just cut off the least significant bits of the 24-bit color. Go read up somewhere (read: Gamasutra) about pixel-conversion and dithering methods.

- Splat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement