🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Little Demon (Android)

Started by
9 comments, last by Little Demon 9 years, 11 months ago
crowdlittledemon.png
Overview

Little Demon is just a little free to play game willing to grow. I just need some help to take it to Apple Store (and Google Store) and make some promotion. The game will be out between this year, between September and November.

Indiegogo campaign: http://igg.me/at/littledemon

20140730120632-littledemonnewroom.png?14

Take care of your own Little Demon!
It needs help to grow. It will ask you to do some things, like playing mini-games, fighting other demons... There's always something to do!

20140731031716-littledemonnewroom2.png?1

20140801051145-littledemonnewroom3.png?1

Deep storytelling
The intricate story of the Little Demons and the characters that you will know, will be unveiled through short but strong letters. The things that happen in your room will affect this characters and the other way round. Either a small robot or a portal on the wall, the game is always changing as your demon evolves.

Unleash its true form!
Your Little Demon will evolve as you make changes in its personality through your choices. If you make it more evil, some weird and strange forms may appear in its body. Every possible part of its body implies a certain skill in battle. You may cook different recipes to help you. Make your own strategy!

Tons of customization, make your own Little Demon!
You can choice from a wide range of aesthetic things like hats, glasses and outfits in the wardrobe. Change its colours, make your own Little Demon!
20140722044655-wardrobe.png?1406029615

20140801084134-littledemonpromo1png.png?
Advertisement

First video teaser!

Looks very cute! Well done ;)

Looks very cute! Well done ;)

Thank you, I really appreciate your comment biggrin.png .

That's how battles look like at this moment:

ldbattle2.png

Branding of the demon is strong, but the game feels a little barren right now.

What's your target audience for this?

Branding of the demon is strong, but the game feels a little barren right now.

What's your target audience for this?

Thanks for the comment! What do you mean exactly with barren? And, how do you think I may fix it?

My target at this time is young people (16-25), but I'm waiting for people to play it to see what is my public. I'm not expecting to draw attention before the release. But any suggestion will help me happy.png .

Thanks for the comment! What do you mean exactly with barren? And, how do you think I may fix it?

Certainly:

Fighting and growing is a good, prove gameplay loop that works. It is a series of actions player find fun, but only for a time. There generally needs to be something else. I believe the design currently lacks depth. PVP is one thing you seem to be hinting at, and I'm guessing there will be leaderboards, etc.

But what are the longer term goals of this game, beyond just making your demon stronger from a numbers perspective?

There are several ways to go about putting longer term goals, but these need to be coherent with your current design, so I'm not sure I know enough to suggest any additionnal feature, plus I wouldn't want to stray you away from the MVP so early.

My target at this time is young people (16-25), but I'm waiting for people to play it to see what is my public. I'm not expecting to draw attention before the release. But any suggestion will help me .

Current aesthetics would probably hint at a bit younger than that. Also, the look gives me a feeling you may be able to tap into female players if you play your cards right. Mixed gender games that work are somewhat rare, but your brand looks gender-agnostic enough that it could work, especially if there's more focus on customization of demon cosmetics.

From the above, my current suggestion would be to tie customization with avatar growth. Specifically, have the player somehow unlock new customization items, and have them be pieces of equipment that have an effect on gameplay. Generally though, the latter part generally appeals more to the male crowd, so exercise caution.

These are my 2 cents.

Thanks for the explanation, I mostly agree, in fact mostly match with my design biggrin.png . I guess my biggest fail is to not show and explain in depth how the game works happy.png .
The grow system has more depth that may seem, as your choices will change deeply how your demon is and the things it does (personality), it's strongly based in humour, and there's a lot of things to do. So, if your demon is enough disciplined, it may ask you to train its magic skills. That way, how you take care of your demon will change also his dexterity in fights. But it may drink alcohol or eat brains if its evil enough. It will always do funny things.
A long term goal may be discover new shapes, customize how the demon and the room looks and make it really evil to make it do naughty and funny things.
Growing change deeper things than numbers. It's not a leveling game. Your demon will evolve depending on your choices, so it will change his arms, legs... and this parts of its own body determine its skills in battle (fire or ice attacks, etc...). So, different parts will be unlocked, but also other aesthetic things such as hairs, and walls for the room.
Also, considering the success of games like Pou, that really have little depth, I can strongly assure you that its not that shallow.
And I forgot the messages that some characters send to you that explain a depth story. Yep, the game happens in a world with a depth lore.
But all the things you said are things I must take into account, and I may improve the image of the game, in this moment it seems shallow, thanks for making me see it. smile.png

hat way, how you take care of your demon will change also his dexterity in fights. But it may drink alcohol or eat brains if its evil enough. It will always do funny things.

Very cool, but careful about the pitfall here. The downside to a strong brand (as is the case here) is to fall on the "sit and watch" mood, where you just want to see the funny things the demon can do and it is less of a game.

Otherwise looks fun, feels even a bit like Bahamut Lagoon's dragons.

I'm working on a new version of the game, the first post has been updated :D. Does it look better now?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement