🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Name for a small country/island ruled by a dictator

Started by
4 comments, last by klefebz 9 years, 11 months ago

Related topic: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/657475-name-for-a-game-where-you-are-a-dictator/

A strategy game where you are a dictator of a small island (central america, caraibean, or pacific like some small island on/near Philipiness), main crops are coffee, bananas, tobaco, sugar, papaya. Higly unstable region (dissidents, rebels, numerous organizations trying to take over the rulership). Probably a cold war era or at least XX century, minimum year 1920.

I look for a name of such imaginary island/small country.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

Why not simply let the player decide? I can't think of a good reason that the end-user shouldn't be able to do so, unless you were to include the name of the imaginary island/country in the game's title or promotinal work.

Why not simply let the player decide? I can't think of a good reason that the end-user shouldn't be able to do so, unless you were to include the name of the imaginary island/country in the game's title or promotinal work.

I second thaht.

Else, it depends on the mood of the game? Serious, Ironic?

- El Paradisio de la Muerte
- Liberty Island
- Sheeptuga, Tunatuga (a deformation of Tortuga)

Sorry, not much inspiration without using the good ol' stereotype ^^

Mine

- Isle of Nome

- Carpathia

Else, it depends on the mood of the game? Serious, Ironic?
Well, primarily a light mood, but also realistic (secondary). Generally, it's for a rather deep hardcore strategy game, but due to the seriousnes of the theme I want to lighten it up or cartoonize.

I prefer it being one word, or two words if "Republic of ___" (since it can be easily shortened to one word only if/when needed.

Can't do, need to include it in many places/stories, maybe voice acting, etc.

Anyway, you can alternatively think of it as a default name the player can change if you wish :)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Caracol

Quebracho

Chozas

Gaviotas

Just take any word in other language and maybe deform it a bit, most real countries are name like that.

Spain means land of rabbits, Germany means land of all people, Nigeria is named after the color black, Argentina is name after the metal silver, America is named after an italian explorer, Cuba means barrel.

I don't play MMOs because I would become addicted

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement