🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Trial by Viking - WIP

Started by
50 comments, last by dqhendricks 8 years, 4 months ago
Update #9:
Everybody loves water levels, right?
water.gif
Advertisement
Update #10:
"Mario did it", is like the, "Simpsons did it", of platformer game mechanics.
phaseblocks.gif
Update #11:
For the story, I knew I wanted to touch on themes of betrayal and retribution, the non-linear nature of time in Norse mythology, and some kick-ass friends that play a part in saving the cosmos with you. I decided the best way to tell it was through game engine made cut scenes and scripted interactions with NPCs during levels as well. In this part of the story, our friend's feathered spy barely escapes. This is a WIP at this point, but I will update here as it get's more polished.
cutscene5.gif
Update #12:
Here's what it looks like to be fighting a treant at night. They have rotating shield magic as well as a stomping power that sends tremors your way. A very tough opponent.
treant.gif
Update #13:
If there is anything I hate, it's crates. I can't seem to complete a level without smashing every last one. :D
crates.gif
Update #14:
Some levels are a little puzzly, but other levels are just a mad dash. biggrin.png
darkness.gif

Just wanted to say that this looks both fun to play and incredible. Keep it up!

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Just wanted to say that this looks both fun to play and incredible. Keep it up!

Thanks Roots!

Update #15:
I've had this idea for a level that has rising water for a while now. I finally got around to it. You have 15 seconds of breath, and the water wakes up the anglers spread throughout the level. some other cool ideas were changing the pitch of the water rushing in sound, depending on whether you are submerged or not. eventually you will be able to get an upgrade from odin that doubles your breath time. all together i think it came out really cool.
waterrising.gif
Update #16:
Throughout the game, there are levels where you ride a viking long boat. This means you have to play fast and not miss the bus. Since I have other levels where you can actually swim in the water, I had to find a way to make this water lethal. So I added a megalodon :D
megalodon.gif

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement