🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Two RPG Quests for Alpha Build

Started by
3 comments, last by Mavi Yuno 9 years, 10 months ago

Wow its been a long time since I've been here. How is everyone doing?

So I am almost done with the re-build of my old-school RPG, Necromancer, The Fight For Life.

Brief overview; it is set in a medieval fantasy world that has been overrun with necromancers and undead. Try to picture the old Pokemon games but with undead instead of Pokemon everywhere, and necromancers instead of trainers everywhere. Capture, train and battle undead minions, turn based battles, all that good stuff.

More info here if you like:

http://necromancergame.com

http://necromancergame.blogspot.com/

Anyway for the new build I want just two short quests for testers to interact with and feel out the mechanics. I could easily throw in a couple of superficial fetch quests, but I'd like something a little more story based and to help with world-building. So I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to help me brainstorm.

The areas currently accessible from the over-world map are:

Hollywell (a small fishing village, protected from the undead but being buried under the weight of enormous taxes)

Lindenford (a medium farming village, protected from the undead but under oppressive military occupation)

One small cave in the mountains.

One area of stone ruins of an ancient burial ground.

Lindenford has a river running through it and a large waterwheel, so my initial idea is to have a problem with the river requiring the player to go to the river source in the mountains to solve it. But the two villages have plenty of empty space in them still so if there is a good idea for a quest revolving around a feature that isn't there yet then it can be easily added.

Looking forward to hearing if anyone wants to offer some ideas! Thank you.

Advertisement

Usually you'd put a combat tutorial quest or monster capturing tutorial quest right at the beginning of this type of game. It seems like the player should learn something about death, magic, and/or why there are necromancers everywhere; that would be connected to the beginning of the "pokemon journey" which is like an overall bildungsroman (coming of age) plot arc.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Will you have any basic interaction with the NPC? Do you have any dialogue for them? If so it could open up the possibility of any number of small quests. You could do sort of a Fable 3 type thing only on a smaller scale. Inside Hollywell there could be 3 or so NPC that you do some small favors for and in return you start to get more popular around town, gaining a large following. Once you've done all of the favors you could lead the people against the heavily taxing, tyrannical (I would assume) leader of the town. I don't really know. It's just something off the top of my head.

no

Hi S&S, you're right I had totally forgotten to include the tutorial somewhere sensible. That is a good plan.

KingOfTheNoobs yes there will be functional NPC dialogue (I am trying to get it to scroll nicely but right now I can only have it appear all at once). Thank you for the suggestions, doing little things to help out the village I think would be a good first step and allow for more back-story of the world.

OK now i am giving my ideas to you, listen me carefuly.. Some NPC's must exchange undeads every breeding game have this kind of events. Some NPC's my give you money if you protect them or kill the evil and save the village from Nue or undead gorilla.

You must watch Gwai Wik and see how scary can be an undead planet. I mean there must be ununderstandable labyrinths which one you cant go back which way you came from. So you passing a street. When you turn the corner and when you go back there is no street and dark jungle with giant trees. Also it can be more ridicilous; you may enter a womb like place by jumping down from a well. And in underground you may see a dark sky with stars. So game map can be limitlessly absurd. And you must be a planet nearly filled with dead. A planet like Shingeki no Kyojin, Berserk, Claymore; only 40 thousands of humen left and they have little strange cities. Also you can watch Dark Stalkers AMV or Afro Samurai. Game must be too dark and fearful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement