🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Building a Portfolio as a writer

Started by
13 comments, last by gambit924 9 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, I'm looking for solo projects I can complete to show off that 1. I can write 2. I can design 3. I can complete projects. My only concern is my lack of artistic ability; I don't want to be written off because the game is a visual mess.

So what are some kinds of projects/genres I can tackle where the graphics matter less, and I can emphasize writing and design?

Make a rogue-like to show off your design without worrying about graphics.

However, because they're relatively easy to make, there are a lot out there so it's hard to compete and get yours played UNLESS you have awesome graphics. And the only way it will actually prove you're good at it is by being played and positively reviewed.

I'm afraid the only way to prove your skill it to make something marketable, and that's a tall order without graphics.

Can you get together a couple hundred bucks to pay an artist? That's really your best bet.

Advertisement

Yeah, I'm looking for solo projects I can complete to show off that 1. I can write 2. I can design 3. I can complete projects. My only concern is my lack of artistic ability; I don't want to be written off because the game is a visual mess.

So what are some kinds of projects/genres I can tackle where the graphics matter less, and I can emphasize writing and design?

Do you know sanctuaryRPG ? it's text based RPG and if you know how to coding, i think you may be able to do that

You might also consider adventure games as a genre in which to work, given that they often value story over mechanics--perhaps even join a community like that of Adventure Game Studio, where you may find artists with whom to collaborate.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

well actually , in my mind, the best writing position to show off your skills is PR.

the PR manager or person needs to understand the game enough to present it in a accessible & interesting way. and drum up interest in the project and support the current community.

The issues that you may have on that is:

1. requires joining a team that needs PR people, most teams just have the lead do it.

2. finding said project

3. building up re-pore with the team & community

All of these take significant investment, but if your willing and able to commit, Its a very strong background.

A back end content organizer & wiki editor also fit the bill. (this requires less of an investment, and is more independent.)

(then again, I'm biased, PR is one of my positions)

Wait a minute,

If you've written & SOLD fiction, how are you having this issue?

that suggests you've published, and if so, all u need to do is link to your work, and people will figure if your the kind of writer they are looking for.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Also you might want to try screenwriting, as most of the cut scenes in games are written in this format. Download Celtx and have at it. It's free and it's easy to use. Also if you're published, developers like to see that. It means you have stuff out there that people are reading, so put a link in you resume or portfolio, you know, whatever. If you're going for a big job, it also help if you have some kind of degree, but that's not always the case.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement