🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Naming rarities in a collectible card game

Started by
6 comments, last by Protheus99 9 years, 7 months ago

This is one I am sure has been answered before but it always comes back.

I am building a Collectible card game and need to have at least 6 different rarity classes.

So far here is what I have come up with

Common

Uncommon

Rare

Very Rare

Mythical

Limited

any help is truly appreciated

Advertisement

What's the theme of your card game?

Your class names may be influenced by that.

Mythical sounds like a fantasy theme.

Limited, of course means (or strongly implies) it's a literal limited addition; so make sure you don't fall afoul any false advertising laws by ongoing printing.

Other common rarities are Legendary, Exotic and Unique (assuming that there are 1-of-a-kind cards in your game).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Are you sure you need all 6 being explicitly named? Note in MTG there are C1, C2 (commons) which indicate how rare these are (yet both are named common).

Also check WoW/Diablo item rarity, it has nice colour coded system.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

The theme is gangsters and the underworld.

I tried to come up with words that would be understood by anyone without being too closely attached to the theme.

At first we had things like amateur, expert, and professional but the abstractness was confusing to players.

Going with simpler words seemed to work but at higher levels the word mythical does seem to be too fantastic ...

thanks for your help everyone

Basic

Common

Uncommon

Rare

Epic

Legendary

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

The theme is gangsters and the underworld.

I take it that is 'underworld' in the criminal sense, not the mythological sense? In that case, I wonder if names like mythical and legendary may be a poor fit for the theme.

One avenue you might consider would be to model your rarities on weapon licensing, something like: Legal, Restricted, Export Controlled, Military Use Only, and Banned.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I like the military licensing model, this is something I will keep in mind for the future

Thanks for the idea

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement