🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

pcx files - yes or no?

Started by
3 comments, last by +AA_970+ 24 years, 6 months ago
i''ve noticed alot of new games don''t use pcx files anymore. Is there any reason i should not use pcx files in my game?
Advertisement
PCX was used a lot, when games wanted a compressed image format. Today, there''s formats that have better compression as well as support more bit depths. I believe PCX only comes in 8 and 32 bpp flavours.
i dont find any reasons why you should not use pcx....

but i have a theory about why there are not so many pcx files in games anymore....

i think that before when games where on disks.... we waste more space now with the CDR and all that we dont care anymore if where using a pcx in 300kb or a BMP in 1.2MB

Thats just my theory... Mathias
I don''t use PCX files anymore because there are to many programs that can alter them. I will either convert them to an exclusive format that I developed, or I will combine multiple pcx files into a single file. This cuts down on hundreds of files in one directory. Other than that, PCX files are fin.

Domini
In the early days, PCX was one of the formats that was easy and fast to read on the average XT/AT. Nowadays, I switched from PCX to JPG (jpeglib6b) and raw compressed image data (bz2lib). But, size is important for me, and it might not be important to you.

DaBit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement