🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

how much controversy is too much controversy?

Started by
3 comments, last by jefferytitan 9 years, 7 months ago

I was cooking up a very unique and controversial and politically incorrect storyline.

Because its a hobby project, I'm afforded the liberty of quite possibly becoming the biggest target of internet hate :p.

This has me thinking, how much controversy is too much controversy?

Do you know of any examples in the wild?

Advertisement

I don't clearly understand what you are asking. Do you want us to tell you circumstances that have generated too much controversy? My answer to that would be that the idea of something being 'too much' is in the eye of the beholder so there is no such thing as too much controversy.

However, its true that there are numerous things blown out of proportion because of the controversy surrounding it. If I had to say what I consider too much controversy, i would say it would be in events that ruin individuals who did not deserve it. People make mistakes, and the world moves on, but if you make a mistake and receive public attention because of it, the world freezes.

Some things cannot be forgiven, but others can, so when controversy blinds people from seeing the difference I get upset. But of course, that is only what 'I' consider too much controversy.

I hope I haven't gone off on a tangent and missed the point of your post, I apologise if I did.

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

how much controversy is too much controversy?

How much controversy are you talking about? You need to be more specific (the question is extremely vague and open-ended). What is the controversial topic you are considering, and what point of view are you contemplating putting forth in your game?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Look up games like "Hatred" "Postal 2" etc. No controversy is too much.

Seriously, I'm surprised FPS games haven't started selling real guns as microtransactions (Ship a call of duty brand AR-15 to your local FFL for only $1200!).

It's hard to give an exact answer. My thought is that if you make something controversial, try to have some justification for why you created it ready just in case you ever get asked. If your excuse for why you wrote "Baby Murderer 3000" is that killing babies is fun... I really hope you never encounter the media. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement