🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

"Story" for this mechanic (SF, strategy)

Started by
9 comments, last by ShiftyCake 9 years, 5 months ago

4X sort of space empire builder. But with a twist (rather big one).

What I have

- There are different coloured systems on the galactic map (which looks utterly cute and I want to keep it that way) these colours are designating what race/faction/whatever controls it

What I want

- asymmetric gameplay (player plays by different rules than Ai opponents - the game is purely singleplayer)

- the player creates THE EMPIRE, and I want it to feel like that (I want to avoid a situation where it feels like there are several empires in the game and the player just controls one of these)

- AI opponents should launch regular attacks vs the Empire (they might or might not fight each other - anyway I would prefer if they tend to fight the player more than each other at least)

Questions

Who the AI opponents are? Why are they attacking the player (the Empire)? I'm generally looking for a backstory/explanation that would feel like the player is controling an Empire and that there is only one empire in the game (no feel of competing empires).

Also looking for anything related.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

If the empire is human, maybe all aliens constantly underestimate humans because they think humans look weak (no natural weaponry or defenses, they can't really have a strong military, right?) Or maybe humans are constantly trying to get into aliens' pants and the aliens tend to take offense at this, especially the old traditional aliens who are disturbed by how decadent the younger generation is. Are you actually going for humor here? Or did you want something more serious?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Are you actually going for humor here? Or did you want something more serious?

Humour, also probably a cartoony like graphics.

EDIT: Maybe instead of humorous I should say "light" or "not dead serious".

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Backstory, there once was an empire that spanned all of the stars and the alien races were a part of that empire. But due to internal struggles, external forces, whatever, the empire fell apart. The original ruling faction got their behinds so whooped that they escaped, leaving their subjects behind. Now, the subjects all want to restore the old empire so that they rule it. Everyone wants to be the Holy Roman Emperor.

The player's race was the 1st in command subject race and thus, they were first to take over the master's old capital - the heart of the empire, the single requirement for holding the title of empire. No one is going to form their own empires, since there is no chance that any empire ever could compete with the glory of "Rome". :D So, everyone will have one permanent target - whoever holds the grand planet of Rome.

(You should probably swap out the "Rome" with another name.)

Oh good, I'll do more humor ideas then. smile.png Ok, how about the playable race is cats. They're obviously going to conquer the universe (they believe) because they are the perfect life form. Also they have mind control powers that keep anyone physically nearby subjugated - they just have to get through the resistance to get cats onto each planet, and they'll be all set. Though, who knows, they may need to genegineer some cats suited to ice planets and desert planets and *shudder* aquatic cats before they can accomplish this goal.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Oh good, I'll do more humor ideas then. smile.png Ok, how about the playable race is cats.
Well, I meant slightly humouristic :) Overall it's serious but with bits of humour (some events, descriptions, how everyone except the Emperor (the player) is kind of unsmart and so on). Maybe instead of humorous I should say "light" or "not dead serious".

The player's race is Terrans (not from the Earth, it's a fictional setup - like "in a galaxy far far away, long time ago", but they look and behave identical to humans). I need them like that, if nothing else, for graphical reasons (generated portraits of imperial officials).

Maybe have a quick look at this screen:

https://www.facebook.com/PocketSpaceEmpire/photos/pb.1518285091783292.-2207520000.1419543652./1518290615116073/?type=3&theater

they were first to take over the master's old capital - the heart of the empire, the single requirement for holding the title of empire

Maybe there are several "regalias" scattered across the galaxy and the player, as collects these, become more and more seen as the true & rightful Emperor of the whole galaxy?

Everyone wants to be the Holy Roman Emperor.

Ideally, I would prefer a scenario where others either don't want to be the Emperor (they prefer Status Quo for example) or they can't (for some reason I can't think of). It would make the backstory stronger (I mean, if everyone wants to be the Emperor they could simply claim they are "relocating the capital" (Constantinople - the new Rome, to follow the historical example), sure, they would get a weaker claim, but still they could manage.

OK, a desperate idea, all other races are "Barbarians" (robots, midless hive like zerglings, parasites, etc) and therefore they are unable to form an Empire (at least in the galaxy wide sense). Only the player controls a race capable (mentally & intellectually) to care about anything more than trying to control a few nearby systems and breed and eat other races.

they were first to take over the master's old capital - the heart of the empire, the single requirement for holding the title of empire

Maybe there are several "regalias" scattered across the galaxy and the player, as collects these, become more and more seen as the true & rightful Emperor of the whole galaxy?

Everyone wants to be the Holy Roman Emperor.

Ideally, I would prefer a scenario where others either don't want to be the Emperor (they prefer Status Quo for example) or they can't (for some reason I can't think of). It would make the backstory stronger (I mean, if everyone wants to be the Emperor they could simply claim they are "relocating the capital" (Constantinople - the new Rome, to follow the historical example), sure, they would get a weaker claim, but still they could manage.

OK, a desperate idea, all other races are "Barbarians" (robots, midless hive like zerglings, parasites, etc) and therefore they are unable to form an Empire (at least in the galaxy wide sense). Only the player controls a race capable (mentally & intellectually) to care about anything more than trying to control a few nearby systems and breed and eat other races.

Plotwise, you might be able to do this then: You don't want an "Empire" but your creation of one by necessity (defending yourself from zerglings) forces internal issues as well- some people think you're just grabbing power for its own sake and so on. The more you establish a power base, without the proper planning, the more you create internal divisions (a good way to marry plot to gameplay developments?). But perhaps this is not in line with your concept, so you can do what you will with it.

Lover of Death Metal and lampooning Hegel.

Somewhere, in hiding, there is a powerful and mysterious entity (civilization? god? nobody is sure) that seeks to prevent the emergence of any other galactic-scale power, and when one starts to form, they emerge from hiding and bomb everyone back to the stone age. Many civilizations know about this -- some have found artifacts of ruined civilizations, and some very old races still remember it in myth and legend.

These cautious civilizations are your "intermediate" opponents. That's why they're not themselves trying to form a galactic empire; their collective goal is to prevent *anyone* from achieving an empire, because they don't want these Eliminators to return. Your goal is prevent them, by any means necessary, from forming an effective alliance/resistance/rebellion that can oppose you and return the galaxy to its safe status quo.

You don't want an "Empire" but your creation of one by necessity (defending yourself from zerglings) forces internal issues as well- some people think you're just grabbing power for its own sake and so on.
Yes. I plan each "game over" screen (when you lose power for any reason) to be "the humanity/galaxy is lost". I mean, only YOU (the player) can save the galaxy/human race and if for any reason you are not in charge the doom for the population is imminent :)

examples: when you are overthrown "the empire turned into a weak democracy and soon afterwards the aliens invaded the weak terrans and eradicated the most and enslaved the rest" or when the imperial capital has fallen "not so much after the empire has fallen the trans dimnesional invaders invaded the galaxy destroying all life, aliens and terrans alike"

Somewhere, in hiding, there is a powerful and mysterious entity (civilization? god? nobody is sure) that seeks to prevent the emergence of any other galactic-scale power, and when one starts to form, they emerge from hiding and bomb everyone back to the stone age. Many civilizations know about this -- some have found artifacts of ruined civilizations, and some very old races still remember it in myth and legend.
Well, actually I was trying a reverse scenario. There is a legend that every 10,000 turns a race from another dimension invade the galaxy and anihillate most life. You (the Empire) is the one who takes this threat seriously and need to become stroning (military wise, which means the need for conquering neighbour aliens) in order to face this ancient enemy that will arrive soon.

[the transdimensional aliens will enter via the transdimensional rifts (that were not sealed by the player) and started annihilating all planets on their path (no conquest) in the late game]

The other alien races either don't take this legend seriously or don't care or care only for maintaining the status quo and fighting each other or whatever.

BTW, I like how the "threat to destroy the galaxy by some ancient/distant Eliminators" is suggested by various people, seems we all like that storyline :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement