Advertisement

What kind of math do you use to balance games?

Started by February 01, 2015 11:19 PM
11 comments, last by polyfrag 9 years, 7 months ago

@Orymus3

Thankyou! Learn something new every day :D

But by reverse engineering, can't you set a base for a new game?

I mean, in most games, almost all classes/characters usually have manaproblems early game/low level.

Which I hate, but it does make sense to me.

It's those little problems that force you to make decisions, which was also explained in the link shared by jbadams.

At least that's the way I see it :P am I looking at it the wrong way?

I just look at what others did and copy what I think was good and change what I think was wrong, pretty much.

For example, while leveling in WoW:WotLK, there are 10 classes, 3 cloth armor, 2 leather armor, 2 mail armor, 3 plate armor.

One of every of those armor types can heal, which means there are 4 healer classes, which leaves 6 classes that cannot take the healer role.

5 of those left over classes have self-heals, which leaves 1 class without a selfheal.

That class(rogue) has stealth, can stunlock and has a lot of dodge, which I believe has been done to compensate for it.

In other words, 9 classes get through leveling by fighting and having some kind of selfheal, the last one gets through leveling by stunlocking and stealth.

So you give everyone a strength, ofcourse later on in PVP, the rogue's stunlock is considered overpowered by noobs, because they dont know how to counter it :P

If I said or took anything the wrong way, please do tell me :D I am still learning.

But by reverse engineering, can't you set a base for a new game?

Perhaps for a specific genre with a known baseline of mechanics (an RTS, for example, is a fairly well defined environment that uses specific resources, and stats). If you do not develop a game that breaks this mold, you can probably make an educated guess to something that is fairly balanced. It may, however, fail to be fun.

I mean, in most games, almost all classes/characters usually have manaproblems early game/low level.

Is it the case in Tetris? Pac-man? Chess? You see what I mean. Every game has a different economy, so nothing really translates all that well.

I just look at what others did and copy what I think was good and change what I think was wrong, pretty much.
For example, while leveling in WoW:WotLK, there are 10 classes, 3 cloth armor, 2 leather armor, 2 mail armor, 3 plate armor.
One of every of those armor types can heal, which means there are 4 healer classes, which leaves 6 classes that cannot take the healer role.
5 of those left over classes have self-heals, which leaves 1 class without a selfheal.
That class(rogue) has stealth, can stunlock and has a lot of dodge, which I believe has been done to compensate for it.

In other words, 9 classes get through leveling by fighting and having some kind of selfheal, the last one gets through leveling by stunlocking and stealth.
So you give everyone a strength, ofcourse later on in PVP, the rogue's stunlock is considered overpowered by noobs, because they dont know how to counter it

You're being too genre centric. See the above, does this translate well to Chess? or any type of game out there? Not really. MMOs have a microcosm on how things should work, slightly derived from RPGs/Hack 'n Slash games in many cases, but this does not represent all games that can be made. And most (if not all) games require math, so it comes in different shapes. Especially when innovation is involved (assume a MMO without a "Life Points" stats, that could clearly reck everything. If everyone dies in a single "hit", you can't quite use the damage, dodge and other stats the same way now, can you?)

Advertisement

Differential calculus.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement