🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Creating a server for a mobile game and matchmaking with facebook

Started by
4 comments, last by alnite 9 years, 4 months ago

So where do i start?

I have an idea for a game and its pretty simple, i already did most of the coding for the "game" part of it, but now i have no idea where to start regarding making it work online.

I am reallly noob at c# and programming ingeneral (just started but am a quick learner) so i was wondering if anyone could point in the right diretion regarding what i have to do and what should i look for (tutorials, what i have to do, books, videos, whatever can help me).

The goal here is to make it have some sort of random matchmaking that just puts you to play with whoever else has the game, and to make it work with facebook where you can directly play with your friends who have the game (i don't want to implement the game to facebook).

Thanks!

Advertisement

...bump?

Moving to the Networking forum. As for what to read, start with reading the links in the Networking FAQ.

well. first of all reading this forum networking faq can be very good and gives you lots of information. even after that you shouldnt start a game. because it becomes very hard when you use sockets for games. after that you learnt basics like what is the difference of udp and tcp and what is syncron and what is asyncron and learning about security like cryptography and using orm instead of direct query, you can start some practices in every engine and library or language you want. i recommend you usingunity because you can use .net libraries in it and you can use c# in it like any .net application.

your best choice is msdn. just search names i said

What is the game? What are the rules, and what are the interactions between people?
If the game is turn-based, like Chess, or asynchronous, like Farmville, then adding networking can be pretty simple.
If the game is interactive, like a fighter, racer, or first-person shooter, then adding networking may require totally re-writing all game control, display, and simulation code.

Asking "how do I network my game" is like asking "how do I bring my pet when I travel" -- is your pet a bird, elephant, or kitten? Are you traveling to and from work, or from China to Australia? The answer to the question varies greatly!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

The common wisdom says that if you want an online capable game, you have to write it with online capability from the beginning. It seems that you have been writing your game in single player architecture, so it's likely that you will have to rewrite it to add the online part. But, it depends on the game and the complexity of what you are after.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement