🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any general tips about the game industry?

Started by
18 comments, last by SeraphLance 9 years, 4 months ago

Hey all,

my name is Dacre i'm currently in my second year studying computer science at the university of Bristol in the UK. I'm a keen programmer, of course, and my main interest is in real time rendering. I'm also a 3d art hobbyist when I need a break from programming!

I realise that the game development industry is super competitive and I've realised that if i'm going to get to where I want to be, I need a plan. This is why i'm posting here today, i'm hoping to gather some information about the industry to ensure I make an effective plan. I have made a few questions below, if you could answer any of these I would greatly appreciate it!

What do you think is more important when applying for a game programming role, a portfolio or a degree? (or is it a must to have both?)
Any ideas what the interview process is like for prospective game programmers?
If you are a game programmer, do you enjoy your job? Was this something you always wanted to do?
Game developers are often said to work upward of 80/90 hours, is this true? anyone experienced this at all?
How hard do you feel it is to find jobs within the game industry at the moment?
What do you think is the best way to stand out to prospective employers?
Work experience (internships) or building a portfolio, which is more important in your opinion?
Any information about the game industry, even if not relevant to the questions i've posted would be awesome!
thank you in advance,
Dacre
Advertisement
Dacre, you should start by reading this forum's FAQs. The link can be found in this forum's main page,
http://www.gamedev.net/forum/101-breaking-into-the-industry/
The link sends you to
http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi Tom, thanks for the advice. It seems that I was a bit hasty is posting this before reading that section and there looks to be a lot of great content there.

If possible can I keep the thread alive to gather extra information and/or other opinions?

thanks, Dacre

Go read these articles, and consider your career options in general: http://kotaku.com/tag/video-game-layoff-stories

I realise that the game development industry is super competitive and I've realised that if i'm going to get to where I want to be, I need a plan.

And where do you want to be? Being able to effectively describe your career goals is an important part of being able to achieve them.

What do you think is more important when applying for a game programming role, a portfolio or a degree? (or is it a must to have both?)

You want both. But if it came down to it, I'd probably take a candidate with a degree over one with a portfolio (for a programming position).

Yes, but it varied wildly from studio to studio. What is it specifically you're wondering about?

If you are a game programmer, do you enjoy your job? Was this something you always wanted to do?

Yes, and yes. I did get burned out and leave the industry for two years after my first job, which was at a studio with a heavy crunch culture. It was a useful experience, however, as I am now much better at both getting a sense for that culture (and avoiding it) and having the willpower to both point out up-front that I don't tolerate that kind of bullshit and leave when it reaches the point that I have to (which still surprised the people I was working for, the last time it happened).
Game developers are often said to work upward of 80/90 hours, is this true? anyone experienced this at all?

The industry has a deserved reputation for crunch. However, it is not necessary and you should not put up with it. Ever since my first job I have only ever worked in exceed of 40 hours a week on terms that were exclusively my own and by my own choice.

If you are good at what you do, there are plenty of jobs available.

Depends what you want to do, really. The hardest part is getting to the point in the interview where you talk to a real human, which means having a good resume and, usually, a reasonable portfolio ("reasonable" depends on the kind of job you are going for).
Work experience (internships) or building a portfolio, which is more important in your opinion?

Practical work experience in the industry will generally be better than any sort of personal work experience, but both are valuable.

Hi josh, thank you for the response!

And where do you want to be? Being able to effectively describe your career goals is an important part of being able to achieve them.

The implication was that I want to work in the game industry, but thinking about it that is a very vague goal.

Yes, but it varied wildly from studio to studio. What is it specifically you're wondering about?

I suppose I probably shouldn't have phrased the question as I did, I maybe should have phrased it as "what is the application process for prospective game programmers like?". I'm curious about what stages there are in the process, do you get your programming knowledge tested? or do they gain an idea of your programming knowledge through your education/portfolio? Would the interview be one on one, or group interview? Also, is it likely that a prospective employee would have to attend multiple interviews/telephone interviews? I realise that it will significantly differ as you said, but any experiences or any info on the process would be awesome!

The industry has a deserved reputation for crunch. However, it is not necessary and you should not put up with it. Ever since my first job I have only ever worked in exceed of 40 hours a week on terms that were exclusively my own and by my own choice.

This is something that has always worried me, I fear that i'll get into a job that I love and then be taken for a ride! I suppose it is a case of putting my foot down at the start, although i'm sure I wouldn't have the gut to do so on my first job! Thanks for the advice and glad you don't have learned not to put up with it!

Practical work experience in the industry will generally be better than any sort of personal work experience, but both are valuable.

Unfortunately, it seems to take a pretty good portfolio to even get that experience. My portfolio is slowly but surely being built, last few years I have worked over the summer at a local web development company (which I do not have a massive passion for). I was thinking of taking the summer off work(by work I mean paid work) to really buff out my portfolio so that hopefully I can land a game development internship the following. What do you think of this? would further experience in a software development team not relevant to games be better than building a portfolio entirely based around games?

Thank you so much for the response, i really value your opinion! :)

Dacre

Go read these articles, and consider your career options in general: http://kotaku.com/tag/video-game-layoff-stories

Thanks for the warning but I really don't think there is anything that could put me off game development! Maybe i'm naive... Who knows

The implication was that I want to work in the game industry, but thinking about it that is a very vague goal.

Yes, I got the first part, but the industry is large, so what is it you specifically want to do? Programming? Design? Art? What sort of things do you want to work on, what sort of responsibilities do you want to have?
maybe should have phrased it as "what is the application process for prospective game programmers like?". I'm curious about what stages there are in the process, do you get your programming knowledge tested? or do they gain an idea of your programming knowledge through your education/portfolio? Would the interview be one on one, or group interview? Also, is it likely that a prospective employee would have to attend multiple interviews/telephone interviews? I realise that it will significantly differ as you said, but any experiences or any info on the process would be awesome!

It depends entirely on the studio. The process I like to use for programmer candidates is:
  • Review their resume, and a portfolio if they have it (only if that portfolio involves actual code I can read).
  • Call them for an initial phone screen, which involves some simple technical questions.
  • Give them a programming test.
  • A video call for more in-depth discussion.
  • A final in-house interview.
Not always strictly in that order and sometimes the two in-depth interviews can be combined if the candidate is local.
would further experience in a software development team not relevant to games be better than building a portfolio entirely based around games?

Both are valuable, I'd prefer actual work experience over the portfolio if all other things are equal.

Neither. You need to have skill and the ability to demonstrate it succinctly in an interview. Of course, to get the said interview, portfolios really help, and a degree insures a minimum amount of knowledge has been reached, so preferably both and more.

I heard this is common in the USA. A little less so over here, though I've personally worked 80-90ish hours a week for almost 9 months once, so it still exists.

That being said, I've spent an entire year never breaking 50h/w also...

Locally, we've just hired about all that we could potentially hire. Anyone locally that had sufficient experience to work in a production environment has been employed (quite peculiar in fact). I'd say 2 weeks ago was the best time to get hired in the last 5 years (locally, mind you).

Production experience that shows in your portfolio. Make sure you get feedback from credible sources and apply yourself.

Internships. I rarely see people hired from portfolio experience alone.

Interships give you real work environment experience and allow you to possibly network a bit along the way (and know important people).

That being said, once you're through, you'll wish you've messed around more with your portfolio as it gives you quick experience getting things done.

what is more important when applying for a game programming role, a portfolio or a degree? (or is it a must to have both?)

A degree makes sure HR doesn't chuck your application in the bin. A portfolio lets the team quickly judge your experience and decide if an interview is worthwhile.

Be prepared to have some technical conversations about your portfolio, especially any bits of tech that you're proud of or interested in. Be able to humbly answer why certain technical choices were made. Be prepared to solve a simple algorithm in C code on a whiteboard (a quick way to see who coasted through their degree without actually learning to be a programmer). If asked about your favourite games, they might have technical questions for you - like what you'd improve if working on that game.

Yep. I got the chance to start learning to program in high school, but always wanted to before that.
If you don't actively enjoy programming, then I wouldn't recommend it as a career.

I've had other (non-games) programming jobs for companies that I grew to hate, but I always love working on games.

I've had one company ask everyone to temporarily work 50 hour weeks, which resulted in a large portion of the team resigning! This is in Australia though, where 38 hour weeks (averaged over a month) are protected by law.
I have a friend in the US who chooses to work 100+ hour weeks...

There was a global industry collapse in 2008-2010ish (the GFC caused publishers to cut spending on external developers by about half, and really prioritise only working with devs they owned, which resulted in lot of of work suddenly drying up, resulting in a lot of studios unable to find work, resulting in thousands of people being laid off), but things are rebounding now.
The Indie scene in particular is thriving.

Make a good game. Something that actually has an active fan base.
Have demonstrable talent and drive, be personable and humble.

Things might be different in the US, but in my experience, internships are extremely rare... and probably used by companies who need staff but can't even afford a junior programmer's wage.
The experience gained may still be useful :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement