🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Downvoting kills my motivation

Started by
48 comments, last by jbadams 9 years, 3 months ago

That people can down-vote my posts here really, really spoils any reason why I should give a damn when I see a question because I know that I will get voted down if some random dude/dudette doesn't agree.

I could mention that Gamedev.net is third on the list of the most Nazi-driven communities, after Wikipedia and StackOverflow, but I won't. ;)

What is the reasoning behind allowing people to vote down?

The only effect that has is that I will think twice (or more) before asking myself if enough fucks are given to justify taking the time to provide an answer, contribute to a brainstorm, etc.

I know it's not essential, but I can't help that it pisses me off. I mean, I could have just shut up, instead of taking the time to post, right?

This is just a rant to tell you all how counter-productive down-voting is.

Too many projects; too much time

Advertisement

When we turned down-voting off in the YiiFramework community the atmosphere improved quite a bit. And on the Ogre3d forum we implemented kudos, but decided not to have any option to give negative kudos.

I am not delusional, so I know that this topic probably would do nada with regards to changing it here - and it will probably be locked/mocked/deleted (or worse) - but I am not ashamed of my opinion. ;)

What is the reasoning behind allowing people to vote down?

I'm not an admin, but as a user, I will say that it allows users to collectively determine which users are more helpful than others. Note that I say "unhelpful", not "wrong." It's entirely conceivable that a person could post correct information in an unhelpful way and receive a downvote, while someone posting incorrect information in an otherwise helpful and respectful way will be upvoted. Your rating is just as much a reflection of your behaviour in the forums (excluding the lounge, where rating votes are disabled) as it is your technical competence and breadth of knowledge.

When we turned down-voting off in the YiiFramework community the atmosphere improved quite a bit. And on the Ogre3d forum we implemented kudos, but decided not to have any option to give negative kudos.

In this community, the introduction of our reputation system improved the atmosphere dramatically by reducing flaming and nonsense posts and significantly improving the signal to noise ratio.

It's much easier to gain points than it is to lose them, down-voting costs the voter one of their own points, and it's common for people to up-vote to counter-balance a down-vote they feel is unfair.

Of course the system isn't perfect, but it's been very effective and seems to work quite well for most people.

- Jason Astle-Adams

You were downvoted on 2 posts and only one of them has a negative net balance. I've seen far worse....

Anyway, first rule of the voting system: You don't talk about the voting system.

seems to work quite well for most people.

I kind of suspected that.

Thanks for listening. ;)

I could mention that Gamedev.net is third on the list of the most Nazi-driven communities, after Wikipedia and StackOverflow

Abrasive folks tend to get down voted a lot.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

You were downvoted on 2 posts and only one of them has a negative net balance. I've seen far worse....

Anyway, first rule of the voting system: You don't talk about the voting system.

I know.

Can't help talking about it.

It's childish of me, I know, but I get upset when down-voted for no good reason laugh.png

Abrasive folks tend to get down voted a lot.

Honest folks, you mean?

That's my view of down-voting: it brings out the worst in people; hence the comparison.

On a related note, I have something to report, myself: the forum won't let me take back a rating vote once I've made it. Is that intentional or a bug?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement