🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Reputation Droping Fast... Any way to boost this?

Started by
18 comments, last by jbadams 9 years, 3 months ago

My reputation is droping fast, it seems that every -1 point deducts 3 reputation from me. Is this normal? I am always telling the truth, and both of my posts in the Gamination Company thread have been downvoted. I think I'm being targeted because I'm a new user...

New users shouldn't be downvoted so quickly, only upvoted. Thus, everyone will have a chance.

Advertisement
18-20102004.gif
Trying to recruit a team when you have absolutely no skills or experience will not go down well with our community.

You're also making a flurry of quick posts that don't seem all that well thought out across several of our forums, and in a number of cases these have been in the wrong forum.

Slow down.

Take a moment and think before posting. Read the forum description and be reasonably sure you've picked the right one (for example, had you done this it should have been very obvious that "coding horrors" is not the place for a question about GDNet+). Read the faqs.

Apply some basic logic -- if someone wanted to design and build a house with no experience would you suggest they recruit a team, or would you suggest that they learn basic skills first? Like that hypothetical person you obviously need to learn basic skills, not recruit a team you won't be able to effectively lead or contribute to.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Oh, and you're not being down-voted because you're new, but because of the content of your posts. New people show up here all the time and manage to avoid down-votes, and you can do the same if you put some more thought into what you're trying to do and into how you're posting.

- Jason Astle-Adams

My reputation is droping fast, it seems that every -1 point deducts 3 reputation from me. Is this normal?

Yes. It's weighted by the reputation of the person rating you.

For example, if I downvoted you, it'd deduct -4.
(I'm not a moderator! Just a user with a stupid-high reputation from helping users with their programming problems while procrastinating on my own tongue.png)

The community kinda self-moderates the community, in terms of reputation. Moderators only step in when people do something against the site rules.

I think I'm being targeted because I'm a new user...

Nope! We get loads of new users, and by and large the vast majority of them find this community very welcoming and friendly.

New users shouldn't be downvoted so quickly, only upvoted. Thus, everyone will have a chance.

A chance at what? Downvotes don't ban you from the community, they only inform you that you're doing something the community doesn't approve of.

I am always telling the truth, and both of my posts in the Gamination Company thread have been downvoted.

Perhaps people were a bit hasty in that, but it has absolutely nothing to do with you being new.

Here's some reasons of why you might've been downrated:

First you posted a 'recruitment thread' which isn't allowed here. We have a special area for recruitment threads: on the menubar at the top of the site, see "Classified". It's free to post for non-commercial projects, but commercial projects have to pay (small) listing fees.

Second, on the internet it's generally not socially acceptable to create multiple forum threads discussing the same subject. That's often considered annoying - at least by this community. A discussion should be contained in one place, not spread over multiple threads. dry.png

We're not nazis; you're definitely welcome here. Any new community will have a slight learning curve, and the value this community brings, knowledge-wise, is worth a little bit of effort learning to adapt.

Third, it doesn't look like you've done much research. You don't hire "Distributors", and people don't get investors without a proven track record or, failing that, a very impressive prototype. You have to start smaller,

Fourth, you are doing one of the infamous types of posts that usually are some variation of, "I'll be the idea guy, but I need skilled people to make my game for me.", which isn't how things work.

You have to start smaller, develop your skills, and work on small projects that you can get halfway to completion before asking for people to help you. Too many people ask for help from the start of a project, and the projects rarely ever make it to completion. Instead, people need to to see what they can achieve on your own, and after working a year on *the development* of it (not just design), half-completing it, then you recruit others to the team. Paying people in promises of sharing any potential revenue doesn't work, because that potential revenue isn't ever going to come without experience, and experience either requires you to work, or you to pay. So, you have to work and learn and teach yourself to gain the experience necessary to bring your game to half-completion without outside help.

This sounds counter-intuitive ("How can I build something without people to help me do it!"), but that's not the actual question. The real question is, "How can I get people to work for me, if I'm not paying them actual money?", and the answer to that is to show that your project actually has a chance at success, by bringing it almost entirely to completion on your own sweat and time. This may mean starting with a *much* smaller game, and starting with free tools that are easily learnable, and spending the effort to learn them.

We're not saying your goals (running a company, making games, making money) are illogical. Those are reasonable goals.
It's your method of achieving those goals that aren't very logical. mellow.png

Asking people to work for free, or with fantasy promises of potential money, will only get you people who are equally inexperienced. And equally inexperienced people will only help you make a buggy poorly designed and often unfinished game. Thousands of people are making games solo nowadays - start with smaller projects, and use them as stepping stones. Don't try to build an entire building without learning how to build a shed.

Passion is fine, but a lack of planning isn't. So don't be discouraged, but don't be delusional either. Big dreams are achieved by small steps - you have to start small, and work your way up. smile.png

@servant, well said. That's exactly the message I've been trying to get across :)

My reputation is droping fast, it seems that every -1 point deducts 3 reputation from me. Is this normal?

Yes. It's weighted by the reputation of the person rating you.

For example, if I downvoted you, it'd deduct -4.
(I'm not a moderator! Just a user with a stupid-high reputation from helping users with their programming problems while procrastinating on my own tongue.png)

The community kinda self-moderates the community, in terms of reputation. Moderators only step in when people do something against the site rules.

I think I'm being targeted because I'm a new user...

Nope! We get loads of new users, and by and large the vast majority of them find this community very welcoming and friendly.

A chance at what? Downvotes don't ban you from the community, they only inform you that you're doing something the community doesn't approve of.

I am always telling the truth, and both of my posts in the Gamination Company thread have been downvoted.

Perhaps people were a bit hasty in that, but it has absolutely nothing to do with you being new.

Here's some reasons of why you might've been downrated:

First you posted a 'recruitment thread' which isn't allowed here. We have a special area for recruitment threads: on the menubar at the top of the site, see "Classified". It's free to post for non-commercial projects, but commercial projects have to pay (small) listing fees.

Second, on the internet it's generally not socially acceptable to create multiple forum threads discussing the same subject. That's often considered annoying - at least by this community. A discussion should be contained in one place, not spread over multiple threads. dry.png

We're not nazis; you're definitely welcome here. Any new community will have a slight learning curve, and the value this community brings, knowledge-wise, is worth a little bit of effort learning to adapt.

Third, it doesn't look like you've done much research. You don't hire "Distributors", and people don't get investors without a proven track record or, failing that, a very impressive prototype. You have to start smaller,

Fourth, you are doing one of the infamous types of posts that usually are some variation of, "I'll be the idea guy, but I need skilled people to make my game for me.", which isn't how things work.

You have to start smaller, develop your skills, and work on small projects that you can get halfway to completion before asking for people to help you. Too many people ask for help from the start of a project, and the projects rarely ever make it to completion. Instead, people need to to see what they can achieve on your own, and after working a year on *the development* of it (not just design), half-completing it, then you recruit others to the team. Paying people in promises of sharing any potential revenue doesn't work, because that potential revenue isn't ever going to come without experience, and experience either requires you to work, or you to pay. So, you have to work and learn and teach yourself to gain the experience necessary to bring your game to half-completion without outside help.

This sounds counter-intuitive ("How can I build something without people to help me do it!"), but that's not the actual question. The real question is, "How can I get people to work for me, if I'm not paying them actual money?", and the answer to that is to show that your project actually has a chance at success, by bringing it almost entirely to completion on your own sweat and time. This may mean starting with a *much* smaller game, and starting with free tools that are easily learnable, and spending the effort to learn them.

We're not saying your goals (running a company, making games, making money) are illogical. Those are reasonable goals.
It's your method of achieving those goals that aren't very logical. mellow.png

Asking people to work for free, or with fantasy promises of potential money, will only get you people who are equally inexperienced. And equally inexperienced people will only help you make a buggy poorly designed and often unfinished game. Thousands of people are making games solo nowadays - start with smaller projects, and use them as stepping stones. Don't try to build an entire building without learning how to build a shed.

Passion is fine, but a lack of planning isn't. So don't be discouraged, but don't be delusional either. Big dreams are achieved by small steps - you have to start small, and work your way up. smile.png

Okay, I read the entirety of this.

One slight problem

I can't learn.

Not that I don't want to learn, but basically, I'm truely "incompetent".

If you read my post, you would've noticed this well. Not trying to sound like a troll or flaming, and sorry if I come accross that way, but yes, that would be noticable.

So, How can I take baby steps ON MY OWN if I can't learn?

I tried in school and failed. Is there something wrong with me?

18-20102004.gif

Don't do what exactly? I'm not understanding the hint, unfortionately. T_T

How exactly are you unable to learn?

All human beings learn, from the second they take their first breath to the day they die, if you're saying you can't motivate yourself to learn that's a different thing entirely which can be helped with the right tools and encouragement.

I can't learn.

Not that I don't want to learn, but basically, I'm truly "incompetent".

Leonard Shelby: I don't think they'd let someone like me carry a gun.
Teddy: I fucking hope not.

http://www.barbaraarrowsmithyoung.com/book/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement