🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

what could be wrong with my router.

Started by
1 comment, last by ankhd 9 years, 2 months ago

Hello all.

Ok so I have a server running some times, That needs a range of ports forwarded. So I set the range and that in the router this all works fine until

I restart my computer then I have no web browsing, But client apps can connect to the server computer. The server computer has no web browsing as well. But both computers can ping out to web sites.

It looks like I can have web browing and no server running or server and no web browsing.sad.png

Also something to note is that if I remove the server app from the router(no more port forward), Still no web browsing until I get a paper clip and reset the router.

What could the problem be. So the first time I set it up it works until a restart.

The router is a thomson TG782T(my IP may not like me hosting on a no IP because they want $100 a month).ph34r.png

Advertisement
The internet has lots of complaints about that router being dumb when port forwarding.
For example: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1739702

I would suggest getting hardware that can run open firmware (like OpenWRT or whatever) which is likely to be more suitable to the task of running a home server.
Another alternative is to rent a virtual private server slice or a dedicated "gaming" root server.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Thanks saw most sites on that router.

Guess it'll have to do, there laying NBN in the area all over town we will be getting faster internet soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement