🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Very slow loading of bytecode on iOS

Started by
13 comments, last by WitchLord 8 years, 11 months ago

Progress:

With revision 2191 I've improved the performance of LoadByteCode to be about 4 times faster, for a scenario like this:

usedFunctions.GetLength() is equal 40001

module->bindInformations.GetLength() is equal 0

module->scriptFunctions.GetLength() is equal 20000

engine->scriptFunctions.GetLength() is equal 60019

On my i7 this takes about 1.41 seconds to load (before improvements it took 5.63 seconds). The total size of the pre-compiled bytecode is about 4MB.

So far the optimization has been concentrated on the matching of registered functions/methods done in ReadUsedFunctions. But I'll search for other things that can be optimized. I'm sure it will be possible to bring down the load time even further.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement

Thank you

I wiil try new revision and share results as soon as i get it.

In revision 2193 I've improved the load time further for the above scenario. Now it takes only 0.16 seconds to load.

I'm not sure if this last optimization will make a big difference in your case though. It was focused on optimizing the ReadUsedTypeIds, which according to your last screenshot only takes about 53 msecs for you.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Hi!

I checked changes. Now profile picture looks like http://rghost.ru/7dVN58bpM

So now Bytecode loads on Iphone 5 about 0.2 seconds.

Thank you :)

Excellent news. biggrin.png

I'll keep an eye out for further optimization opportunities, but for now I think this is good enough and will thus prioritize other features.

Thanks for providing the profiling info.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement