🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D studio max: Different color with same texture?

Started by
2 comments, last by Dream Cutter 8 years, 11 months ago

Hi

Im using 3ds max 2013 and Im confused with the materials. Plz help:)

I use a metal texture file but want the same texture file to be used in several materials, so i can change the lightness (or add color tint) For this the "output" rollout for the map is used right? ( i use "RGB level" and the color map for these changes).

It looks fine when rendering (two material with same texture file but different lightness), but i want the color change to be visible even in the viewport.

In the viewport they look exactely the same (i have show shaded material in the viewport andshow end results ticked).

Thanks!

Erik

Advertisement

There could be multiple reason why it isn't rendering in the view port, however there is a common fix for it. Bake your rendering to a texture:

A other solution would be to use the material editor and a multiply node, to change the color of objects.

Thanks but i dont see how that solves my issue. I dont unwrap any maps for my models.

Is there no option to have the coloring of the textures seen in the viewport? Its hard to know what you are doing if you need to export or render before you see the REAL color of your materials...

Hi

Im using 3ds max 2013 and Im confused with the materials. Plz help:)

I use a metal texture file but want the same texture file to be used in several materials, so i can change the lightness (or add color tint) For this the "output" rollout for the map is used right? ( i use "RGB level" and the color map for these changes).

It looks fine when rendering (two material with same texture file but different lightness), but i want the color change to be visible even in the viewport.

In the viewport they look exactely the same (i have show shaded material in the viewport andshow end results ticked).

Thanks!

Erik

You are asking the MAX Viewport to show the rendered image (ie: materials baked with light shading applied), thats normally done with a preview. Max mentel ray is not a biased render engine (AFIK) and I think you might be looking for that type of a solution with real-time ray traced light baking. Maybe the V-Ray render engine (Chaos Group) or using a different render engine like LUX is what you are seeking.

For what its worth, I think the color can be changed by mapping ambient to a texture however having the shader color value (tint) something other than white _might_ be the approach you are after. Perhaps if you explain your objective and starting point a bit more clearly I can point you into the best direction.

3DSkyDome.com animated sky boxes and instant 3d Android & WebGL publishing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement