🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Has anyone used technology as a character motif in any games (or other media) that you know of?

Started by
4 comments, last by sunandshadow 8 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, another self-explanatory title. I've seen Animals, Tarot Cards, and Mythological figures as motifs for characters, but not technology, so why is that particular motif so uncommon (or nonexistent?)

To help you with imagining the type of motif I'm talking about, I'll give you an example: A character that I plan to use in the Web-anime/Machinima I mentioned in my introductory post (under the "Gods of Combat") section

This character is named Tony Adler, and the particular technology he has as a motif is a Japanese WW2 fighter-plane called the Ki-61 (known as "Hien" to the Japanese and entitled "Tony" by the US war department).

First off, his name. Tony is, rather obviously, named after the Ki-61's American codename, and his last name (Adler), means "Eagle", again tying into the plane motif and his ancestry.

Next comes his ancestry: Tony is half-German-half-Italian, a reference to the Hien being mistaken for a German or Italian design because it bears traits of aircraft from both those countries (interesting fact: the Hien had two German engineers who helped design the BF-109 on it's design team).

Tony's personality takes inspiration from the usage characteristics of the Ki-61 as well; he thinks fast, moves fast, and reacts fast, but is reckless and acts on impulse. This ties into the Hien's infamous speed. In addition, Tony can focus for long periods of time without stress but can be quite vindictive, both of which tie into the Ki-61's long range, and he is known for his mental flexibility, which ties into the Ki-61's agility. His physical traits are also inspired by usage characteristics as well: Tony's slim-yet-partially defined figure references the Hien's thin, sleek fuselage and strong, advanced engine.

As for Tony's in-game avatar, it is based on the Ki-61's physical characteristics: not only does his Assault custom class wear the same pattern of camouflage as was usually painted on the Ki-61, it bears a similarity in combat role: it is fast and has fair defenses, but it's damage-dealing and offensive capabilities are fairly poor. His gamertag, SwallowFighter35, references the English translation of the Ki-61's Japanese name; "Hien" means "Swallow".

I wonder: has anyone on this site (or anywhere) used a technology motif (like mine or not) before in a game (or anywhere)? If it is as rare as I think it is, why isn't this type of motif in more common usage?

Advertisement
...First off, his name. Tony is, rather obviously, named after the Ki-61's American codename, and his last name (Adler), means "Eagle", again tying into the plane motif and his ancestry....

I wonder: has anyone on this site (or anywhere) used a technology motif (like mine or not) before in a game (or anywhere)? If it is as rare as I think it is, why isn't this type of motif in more common usage?

I did not know Tony was codename for the Ki-61, that Adler means Eagle, or that there was such thing as a Ki-61. I'm also fairly well versed with WWII (although admittedly more so the Western Front). I suspect that's why it's a rare motif.

In my experience technology is just a fairly narrowly shared experience. Car enthusiasts will love a car motif, noone else will get it. Older people won't recognize a snapchat reference, younger people won't recognize a CD reference.

That said, it's a great way to share something you care about without being too on the nose about it, so I like the idea.

Yeah, It usually takes someone with knowledge of the tech in question to get the references.

But does anyone know of any examples of a technological motif in fiction?

Offhand, I'm reminded of Kantai Collection and Hyperdimension Neptunia, which feature anthropomorphised naval vehicles and game consoles respectively, I believe.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Anthropomorphisations are different from motifs, but that fits (to a degree)

Transformers is the clearest example I can think of. Most transformers correspond to a specific real vehicle type, and there are also some that correspond to tape decks and cassettes, satellites, a flying saucer, and hand gun.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement