🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

linux server vs windows server for unity mmo mobile

Started by
10 comments, last by JohnnyCode 8 years, 11 months ago
Running Windows servers for high-volume production environments is, if all else is equal, slightly more expensive, and slightly less robust than Linux. I've run both, and seen both run, and have enough data points that I feel capable of making that judgment.

But all things aren't equal. If you know how to run Windows servers, and how to develop in C#, and you have nobody on the team who's a seasoned Linux sysadmin, then you'd just be adding pain and learning curves to your project if you moved away from Windows. The cost in risk to your project by using an unknown platform is likely higher than the gains you'll eventually get (assuming you get to scale and longevity) if you re-tool and re-learn to host on a new platform.

Recommending against MySQL is kind-of silly. Approximately 10 out of the 10 top web sites use MySQL in production, including Google, Amazon, Facebook, and others. It has idiosynchrasies, sure, but so does any other database. And while MS SQL Server has great software development environments for Visual Studio developers, it's not as good with the support for massive horizontal sharding across medium-performance servers, where MySQL shines.

Other good databases to consider include PostgreSQL (a champ in "correctness" while not being slow) and DB/2 (if you need an "Enterprise" database.) Do whatever you can to avoid Oracle. It really isn't worth it for any new project IMO.
And, of course, you could design for a cloud infrastructure, like Google with BigTable, or Amazon with Dynamo/SimpleDB. This means relying on a specific hardware provider, but it gives you a lot of benefits, and the scalability story (should you succeed) is very close to as simple as "push a button."
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Advertisement

It has idiosynchrasies, sure, but so does any other database.

I would not equalize in theese issues mssql with any other database server (I have experience with mysql, fbsql and mssql only though). But I would bet anything on mssql being the meanest beast. Also, I know it is kind of silly to recommend against it, that's true, since it stems from comfort reasons, but if you want to encounter as little problems in critical deployments as it gets, it is far from a silly reccomendation. In firebird I have coded stored procedure log-in event function that will refuse log if there is not particular sysdba password (the sysdba is super account that cannot change name but only password and can log to any database file attached to server). I then forgot it, and ever since I use little to none security on data that I would rather see hijacked and missused than see them lost - at some sunny day. (the database backup also backed up stored procedures of database so I was pretty like a walking dead). In a MMO popular game this can result in being on a court.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement