🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Maya split terrain

Started by
0 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 8 years, 9 months ago

Hello. I use maya to export some object and terrain (simple mesh) to my game. I reached the point where I need bigger terrain and I want to implement a lod system where the terrain is split in mutiple chuncks and every chunk has different details and I need to keep them the same size of vertices so when I load a different detail version of the chunk I dont create DirectX resources again and I just map the new buffer.

So I dont know how to aproach this without having to generate the chunks by code. Is there any tool in maya that will force a number of vertices to a selected mesh ? I will manually create the terrain chunks and their lelevs of details I just need a hint how to force a fixed number of vertices.

Advertisement

I reached the point where I need bigger terrain and I want to implement a lod system where the terrain is split in mutiple chuncks and every chunk has different details and I need to keep them the same size of vertices so when I load a different detail version of the chunk I dont create DirectX resources again and I just map the new buffer.

How would this work, won't you need new materials or textures?

Is there any tool in maya that will force a number of vertices to a selected mesh ? I will manually create the terrain chunks and their lelevs of details I just need a hint how to force a fixed number of vertices.

No, you can manually add the vertices. Just add the x amount of vertices to the 0,0,0 vector, they won't draw polygons if they aren't connected so you won't see them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement