🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Changing city names

Started by
8 comments, last by Bumblefish2 8 years, 7 months ago
i want to put some fictional cities in my game, they are based off Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas but I can't think of names for the last two. The L.A one I called Los Paraiso.
Advertisement

For San Francisco: San Fuego

For Las Vegas: Los Juego

Juego is Spanish for gambling...

Plural people, plural.

Los Juegos -> Literally "the games". Juego can be used for gambling but its more of a context thing. "Las Apuestas" it would be more direct. From where I'm from "timba" is slang for gambling, so the name would be "La Timba", sort of "the gambling" literally.

Los Paraisos -> The paradises. Singular "El Paraiso", the paradise.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I think I'll use San fuego for and las apuestas. Thanks guys I was finding it really hard to come up with names lol. Might be back if I can't think of names for the small towns lol.
Also what about these cities, Seattle/Portland, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Fargo, Denver,little rock, New Jersey, New York, Charleston, Daytona beach, Miami, Maine and Detroit . Sorry it's a lot
How about you pick the name of a suburb or street in each city?

For example brooklynville for new York.

Or you could comic book on it, for example capital city, etc...

How about you pick the name of a suburb or street in each city?
For example brooklynville for new York.
Or you could comic book on it, for example capital city, etc...

Maybe I'm looking at the sort of naming that gta does but don't wanna use the same names and can't think of my own

Well gta comes up with a completely different name for the city, e.g. new York becomes liberty city. It's the areas within that city that give it a familiar feel, which are subtly renamed using a thesaurus. You could always use new holland for new York as if I remember right it was actually called this for a while?

Well gta comes up with a completely different name for the city, e.g. new York becomes liberty city. It's the areas within that city that give it a familiar feel, which are subtly renamed using a thesaurus. You could always use new holland for new York as if I remember right it was actually called this for a while?

I think North Holland was a part of liberty city and like the naming thing based on certain things related to the city so like New York was liberty city because of the Statue of Liberty, Miami was vice city because of Miami vice, and so on but I'm not as creative as rockstar unfortunately lol.
I was thinking bayou city or probably just bayou for New Orleans

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement