🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Idea for 3D Platformer Starring a Weeniedog, Need Help!

Started by
1 comment, last by BLM768 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey everyone, my name is Derek, I just recently got into the idea of wanting to design games yet I have no experience in game design but I do have a few ideas! Im on here to reach out to indie designers to help pitch to me helpful ideas with my idea im about to pitch to you in the next paragraph. Im not sure where to start with anything really, but who knows maybe with the right help, if everyone likes the idea, it can happen! Id love to hear all feedback and ideas. I love old 90s collectable platformer games such as Banjo Kazooie, Gex, Super Mario 64, basically that old colorful environment and artistic style games with big worlds and lots of things to find and do with quirky characters and just lots of fun to be had, (with challenging aspects as well). That is where this idea started...

"The idea came to me while thinking of what kind of character I could use for the protagonist. My wife and I have a dachshund and if anyone knows anything about them, they attach themselves to one person, can be over protective, and love to get revenge on their owners for leaving them alone. The idea for the story is that "Doc Shund", is getting ready to peacefully go to sleep with his owner, (shes unnamed as of yet). Scene cuts to him waking up to loud bangs and bright lights and being dazed. Upon coming to he realized his owner is missing as well as many of her belongings. After searching frantically and seeing a bright light outside fly up into the sky, he runs outside only to find a device on the ground left by his owners kidnappers. Doc touches the device and as he touches it, it opens and sends him into an alternate universe where the kidnappers live. He meets a sensei style cat creature (unnamed) who tells him of the dimension he is in and if he wishes to find his owner he will have to do something for him, which is journey through many unfamiliar worlds to obtain missing special gems, and long the way Doc will be able to find his owners missing possessions, as both will allow him to get closer to her. The journey begins and at the start of the journey Doc meets a small alien creature that is trapped, deciding to help him he discovers that the alien (unnamed support character) was put there because he discovered the bad plans of the aliens and rebelled. after talking to Doc and telling him that he saw his owner, they team up and continue the quest together."

Now, this is just the basic story line. Docs character runs on all 4s but attacks, jumps, and performs other actions on his hind legs. He needs a weapon though or different weapons to be able to use. The entire game is from the dogs perspective so he already has humanoid aspects implemented such as talking and walking. Im thinking other special attacks earned through the game could be a super bark, something done with the tail, not to sure yet. I want vast levels, lots of enemies that are different types of animals. Oh and I forgot to mention, the kidnappers of the realm are in fact an alien species. So they need to play a huge role in the game as well. The alien creature that helps Doc needs a name and design.

So as you can see I have a basic story idea but in terms of enemies and designs and everything else that gets implemented into a platformer like this, I don't have a lot, which is why I brought the idea here! To see if anyone is interested enough to pitch or help. So like I said by all means if anyone likes this and wants to help just jump into the thread! Think classic platformer and that's where I want this to go with new ideas as well. Thanks everyone!

Advertisement
This is mostly about story, so I'm moving this to the Writing forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I don't necessarily have any specific ideas, but I can think of some questions to ask yourself:

• How much do the worlds interact with each other? Are some of them friendly or hostile toward other worlds?
  • Why does the cat want these gems? Do they enable access to more worlds? Are they used for some kind of weapon to fight the aliens?
    • Does having more gems give the player access to more power-ups?
  • Do the aliens know about Doc, the cat, or the gems? Do they have some of the gems? (This would provide a logical reason for boss fights.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement