🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Naming a game

Started by
8 comments, last by Edgars Godyuks 8 years, 6 months ago
My game is a hybrid life sim open world rpg set in a fictional version of America, I can't think of a suitable name that will stand out and don't really want to call it something generic like 'life'
Advertisement

Is your game finished? If not, then worry about the name for when it's finished. Otherwise, the game could end up changing into something that won't match the game. Give it a generic name in the meantime.

Sometimes generic names are best anyway. "The Altar of Ashnod" sounds kind of OK, but doesn't say anything about the game, unless you're old and get my reference. But "Sword of Blood and Adventure!" says it's an adventure game which probably has alot of gore in it, despite the name being generic. It's also more memorable. If you friend tells you about "Sword of Blood and Adventure" you'll probably remember it, where as he will most likely tell you about "altar of.. something" for the other one, then you'll forget and not even bother to look it up, then if you look it up "alter of ashes", can't find it and give up after 3 seconds.

Is your game finished? If not, then worry about the name for when it's finished. Otherwise, the game could end up changing into something that won't match the game. Give it a generic name in the meantime.

Sometimes generic names are best anyway. "The Altar of Ashnod" sounds kind of OK, but doesn't say anything about the game, unless you're old and get my reference. But "Sword of Blood and Adventure!" says it's an adventure game which probably has alot of gore in it, despite the name being generic. It's also more memorable. If you friend tells you about "Sword of Blood and Adventure" you'll probably remember it, where as he will most likely tell you about "altar of.. something" for the other one, then you'll forget and not even bother to look it up, then if you look it up "alter of ashes", can't find it and give up after 3 seconds.

I'm setting up a site with more information for the game and I need a name before I can do that

Like i asked, is it finished? Is it even started? Names and websites are the last step, not the first.

Like i asked, is it finished? Is it even started? Names and websites are the last step, not the first.

its started but I need to make a site because someone who was interested in helping out wanted somewhere with more information

Early in projects I usually give my games conceptual names that help inspire me, that I fully understand will later be changed. Eventually, later in development, the "real" name becomes clearer.

For example, my current project used to be called "AdventureFar" to capture the mood I was trying to go for (adventuring in a far-off location). Now I've really named it "Of Stranger Flames", based on the plot and mood of the game, and this is the final name. As an added bonus, my old WIP name became the name of the engine (though morphed into 'Advent').

its started but I need to make a site because someone who was interested in helping out wanted somewhere with more information

You don't need a dedicated site for that. Any site you make now, regardless of how good it is, will be outdated by the time you are ready to start promoting your game. It's a known waste of effort, since you'll have to redo it all anyway.

I'd just create a development site that is game irrelevant, that you use as your normal "working ground" for your projects until they get far enough along to need their own site. i.e. I have two sites: JaminGrey.com for my development in-general, and StrangerFlames.com to promote my game.

If you're curious, both sites are currently broken, and are in need of being replaced. Re: "wasted effort". tongue.png

Simaltus

sim alternate us

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

I think it is better to have a name if you believe that you have a game plan pretty much final (which is usually case if game has a generic theme) and want to create some hype. You may start with a cloud of words that comes to your mind when thinking of game and hopefully end with a name (better than one I found as in signature :) )

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

I think it is better to have a name if you believe that you have a game plan pretty much final (which is usually case if game has a generic theme) and want to create some hype.

I keep hearing how important it is for indie games to start building a following early. Like doing blog posts where people can see the game take shape as you go. A game doesn't have to have its final name to do this, but I agree it would probably be better if it did.

Mine just has a dumb working title for now. I have trouble coming up with titles i'm happy with for games.

Radiant Verge is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG where your movement determines which abilities you can use.

Had problem with naming new project myself.

It was similar situation where I was developing website and thought that without name I cant do it.

Idea of the project is a story about humanity destroying itself ( with a bit of a twist ).

In the end, after spending a lot of time, chose working title "Decay".

Because it was describing idea in one single word.

But I did not make any logo for it, so changing title is not a problem.

Which I already did once. Now its called "Blight" since "Decay" was kind of popular name for games smile.png and im sure that title will be changed again if project ever makes it to production stage.

Point is - take a single word that describes your idea, if its taken - try synonyms.

And dont be afraid to change it, since its a working title.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement