🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice Wanted - Bad luck or just me?

Started by
16 comments, last by pumpkinChan 8 years, 5 months ago
1000 euros is a really low wage in the UK, in fact I think it works out at well below the minimum wage.

Even apprenticeships etc usually get more than this.

Do some research into correct wages and maybe more will bite...
Advertisement

I have been doing nothing but research, really happy.png

And I have been reading a lot of topics on this forum also! Its opening my eyes at some subjects...

I have family in Germany near Munich, but its an avoidable place for me (if I can have another place to go...) since its so expensive.

And I have been looking at sites like glassdoor.com that gives more information like employee feedback on the company.

I am focused on Arts... and yesterday I was lucky to have a conversation with a designer currently living in UK (foreign as well). She told me its freaking difficult to have a internship in arts/design and/or get a job in that field out there. She is a senior designer and was forced to change career. I got a bit disappointed but I am not giving up ph34r.png

Today I will continue with my "mailing service" laugh.png and I will be careful with my cover letter, I will add more info on the company. Its a bit hard to mix what they are searching for because they are not searching for interns (mostly), but I can try to see what companies want from a game artist.

By the way... about internships payments, in my country its against rules to pay for a intern... In Germany my cousin is being paid 1200€. Not bad actually happy.png

I have been doing nothing but research, really happy.png

And I have been reading a lot of topics on this forum also! Its opening my eyes at some subjects...

I have family in Germany near Munich, but its an avoidable place for me (if I can have another place to go...) since its so expensive.

And I have been looking at sites like glassdoor.com that gives more information like employee feedback on the company.

I am focused on Arts... and yesterday I was lucky to have a conversation with a designer currently living in UK (foreign as well). She told me its freaking difficult to have a internship in arts/design and/or get a job in that field out there. She is a senior designer and was forced to change career. I got a bit disappointed but I am not giving up ph34r.png

Today I will continue with my "mailing service" laugh.png and I will be careful with my cover letter, I will add more info on the company. Its a bit hard to mix what they are searching for because they are not searching for interns (mostly), but I can try to see what companies want from a game artist.

By the way... about internships payments, in my country its against rules to pay for a intern... In Germany my cousin is being paid 1200€. Not bad actually happy.png

I am really not that knowlegdeable about the job situation for artists, being a programmer myself, and I don't work in the games industry myself, so I cannot comment from my own expierience...

But I do follow some artists that do youtube vids of their art, and some of them talk about the job situation and how they got their positions during their videos since that seems to be asked more than how they created their art in the comments (sad for me really, because I am always interested in improving my own hobby art skills, but am not interested at all in getting into an art career :) ). Just look for "Cubebrush" on youtube and look for some of his speedpainting vids as an example.

What I found interesting is that I hear some talk about how the best way to get noticed and in the end be hired is to create art and actually put it out there for everyone to see. Seems like having work in freelancing and unrelated jobs for some years until you can transition into the game industry seems to be not uncommon.

Take that into account. There seem to be not that many open positions in game art, but many artists eager to get into them. I would bet that getting an internship position in such a climate is neigh to impossible.

That is why I would follow frobs words and actually ask your school to help you find an internship. They make it a requirement to do an internship to get the degree (which is a good idea, as theoretical studies do not properly prepare you for doing actual work. Nothing beats having to actually WORK 40 hours a week for some months)... they should be bloody prepared to help their students get such an internship. Would be quite ridicolous else, like "ok, you are the best student in class, and we are happy with your work so far. Now roll this dice to see what your final score is and if you passed the exam".

1. When a company asks for your desired salary, whats the best or avoidable answer?

I only care to pay for my basic living costs because I am undergraduate after all, so I said around 800-1000€.

For an internship in the UK expect minimum wage you may get more but, its best to not set your sights high. In the UK I think thats around £6.20 per hour Just work it out as a salary and ask for that much. I have heard of some studios offering less than this because technically they don't even need to pay interns.

2. I've read that it is good to embrace network laugh.png I mean, send messages to people inside companies asking for advice or if by any chance we can offer our "work" to their company and be part of the team but... would it be weird to do this?

It can work sometimes but, don't resort to spamming people.

3. Is it true that being a foreign to UK is a big obstacle to find a position at their companies? Or Germany... I've found more companies from Germany that were offering relocation packages and seemed pretty generous for foreign people.

Not at all in the UK. Anybody from the EU is readily accepted at any UK company. In the UK its technically illegal to ask what country you are from at an interview. They are only supposed to ask if you are legally permitted to work in the EU.

Don't expect a relocation package though. There are lots of people applying in the UK so they expect employees to pay for their own relocation. I have had companies in Italy, Spain and Germany and San Francisco offer to pay relocation costs. Usually the case is that either there isn't as large a talent pool or theres a particularly large demand for talent in these areas, which is why they offer relocation benefits. Also its not likely that they'd offer a relocation package for an intern.

4. Stating all of this, Is there any region for me to avoid? Places or companies that might mark my cv in a bad way? huh.png

Not really places that would view your CV as bad. I have however had bad experience working for companies in Italy though but, this has been employers refusing to pay.

5. Does age really matters? Weird question but it does bothers me somehow. Isn't it odd for companies for someone with 27years to be looking for a internship position instead of a regular job position? Because I seriously have no experience at all in this field.

Age shouldn't matter. In fact in the UK its illegal for a prospective employer to even ask your age.

6. Last question... I am seriously starting to think if it is me or just bad luck and a matter of trying and trying so... Should I just focus on trying or am I doing something wrong?

Its just bad luck. I had to do an internship as part of my degree in the UK. I must of applied to well over a thousand places. Its much harder to get an internship than a full job. Also Im a programmer so I could look outside of games. I imagine as an artist the avenues are even more limited. You could try startup companies and see if they are looking for a graphic designer.

Don't shoot me for my ignorance now but... I read that a subject like "Internship Application", "2d Artist Internship", "Job Application" and so on are not good subjects and I wonder why. I think that the subject should be as "raw" and straight to the point as it can. So, I can't really understand why its not that recommended to write subjects like these. What would be a good subject then? Some companies even ask for the applicant to use the name of the position as subject. I wonder whats the best.

What would be a good subject then?

You mean the subject line for your application email. How about "My Name, Artist" (substitute your name for "My Name"). And instead of "Artist" you can put your art specialty. For example:
"Susan Samson, character art"
"Machiko Manson, concept artist"
"Helen Hong, environment art"
A few years back, I was put in charge of receiving all applicant emails. I had to sort them and store them for when I needed a particular role filled, and I found that my job (as "the HR person") was much easier when the applicant's name and desired role were in the email subject line. You want to make it easy for the HR person to find you in the files and get back to you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Age shouldn't matter. In fact in the UK its illegal for a prospective employer to even ask your age.

I wasn't aware it's illegal to even ask - it is of course illegal to discriminate based on age, gender or race (amongst others such as disability). Worth knowing :)

Thank you again Tom, now I understand.

I always write my files with my name (when sending to someone) that way. I never realized it would be the same in the mail subjects because I always used my name in my mail and well... it appears next to the subject. But yeah, totally understand that now! happy.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement