🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My introduction and also a question

Started by
16 comments, last by begingpps 8 years, 5 months ago

What is the most efficient way to learn game programming, given the limited time I have?

Make games. It will be far more useful to you; you'll learn how to do the thing you want to do, and you'll have some games to show off when you try to get a job as a gameplay programmer somewhere.

I was also thinking about this but there are some paradigms and design patterns that I'd like to know before I start the actual work. For example reading the Game Programming Patterns gave me some very useful examples on how to work with C++ and gaming (for example the flyweight or command pattern).

I second the "make games" suggestion.

As you go from developing simple games to more complex ones, you'll begin to see where various design patterns, paradigms, and algorithms are the solution that fits best. You do still need to know that these patterns exist to be able to ask yourself the question, "I wonder if what I actually need here is x?" and of course having done some experiments will get you further, faster. But, I think, the practical experience of making use of something outweighs going through theoretical exercises in a book.

Advertisement

Game Tesing aint gonna get you anywhere.
Sloperama FAQ says testing is a good stepping stone towards some other jobs for some people: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson5.htm[/quote]
It's possible to get a programming job thru QA, but QA isn't the "best" way to get there. Most of the people who visited Sloperama back then (when I first wrote the article) wanted to become a game designer, didn't have any programming skills, and didn't have any art skills. They were also interested in producing (possibly through a misguided impression that thru design or production, they could boss everybody and tell them what games to make). I absolutely still stand by my advice that QA is a good entry pathway into the game industry for people who are not programmers or artists (or lawyers or financial types).

Also, when I saw this thread in For Beginners, I didn't move it here because the OP was primarily asking how to learn programming.

I second the "make games" suggestion.

I third it. And I second the advice frob gave above (it goes hand-in-hand with my article 85, "Upgrade to designer"
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m85.htm
The principle applies equally to upgrading to programmer.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

when I saw this thread in For Beginners, I didn't move it here because the OP was primarily asking how to learn programming.

That was my initial thought as well, but then an hour later the replies tended toward job advice rather than typical For Beginners technical content, so I figured this was a better landing place. Easy enough for it to move back to For Beginners.

Looking it over, it sounds like he might know enough to be a junior developer already. If not, he's got a year of weekends and evenings (plenty of time) to learn then make a lateral conversion.

I’m fairly good with C++. I know and work with concepts like classes, functions , pointers and so on. ... the time I have for learning is limited ... Should I read these books? ... try to build a game of my own? Or should i just start with some practical tutorials? ... There are some paradigms and design patterns that I'd like to know before I start the actual work.

My career advice is still to go make friendly with the right co-workers. If what was written is accurate, then begingpps knows as much as many other junior developers plus works at a game studio. By spending time with the developers and getting exposure to the code and jargon, begingpps should be able to quickly discover which skills are weak and study those specific topics.

So far I've met 3 people who made that transition. Not many, it isn't a common path, but it is certainly a viable option for where begingpps is today.

My career advice is still to go make friendly with the right co-workers.

Absolutely. Working in QA gives you an opportunity to get to know people, and for them to get to know you and that you should be on their team.

So far I've met 3 people who made that transition. Not many, it isn't a common path, but it is certainly a viable option for where begingpps is today.

Just sayin'!

for how to learn fast, online tutorials was the first thing that popped into my head.

but definitely build games. don't read about patterns of code organization in game code - write game code! <g>

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Thanks everyone for your advice!

My career advice is still to go make friendly with the right co-workers. If what was written is accurate, then begingpps knows as much as many other junior developers plus works at a game studio. By spending time with the developers and getting exposure to the code and jargon, begingpps should be able to quickly discover which skills are weak and study those specific topics.

It's possible to get a programming job thru QA, but QA isn't the "best" way to get there. Most of the people who visited Sloperama back then (when I first wrote the article) wanted to become a game designer, didn't have any programming skills, and didn't have any art skills. They were also interested in producing (possibly through a misguided impression that thru design or production, they could boss everybody and tell them what games to make). I absolutely still stand by my advice that QA is a good entry pathway into the game industry for people who are not programmers or artists (or lawyers or financial types).

Also, when I saw this thread in For Beginners, I didn't move it here because the OP was primarily asking how to learn programming.

The QA path is the only one available for me at the moment + it gives me a good insight on the game development stages. You get used to terms and all sort of stuff from writing bugs and also I found a lot of interesting things when work with the game command console (where you can enter flymode and stuff like that) .

When i first got into the QA thing, the first article I read was the one from Sloperama smile.png .

After reading carefully through the responses I think I'll use my lunch break to read the books I have and the time spent home to the actual programming (it's also quite wired to install Microsoft Visual or some libraries on the PC that i have the office).

On the other hand, what do you guys think of Lazy Foo Begin Game Programming 2.0 using SDL. Do you think it's a good start? I've checked it out and it seems pretty complex and interesting, covering many points.

Has anyone tried this 3dbuzz[dot]com/training/view/c-plus-plus-complete/spritebased-game ? I've seen some of their free videos but I'm not sure if the other are ok. You have to pay for them and I'm not sure I want to do that, if they don't add any value.

Thanks!

what do you guys think of Lazy Foo Begin Game Programming 2.0 using SDL. Do you think it's a good start? I've checked it out and it seems pretty complex and interesting, covering many points.

Has anyone tried this 3dbuzz[dot]com/training/view/c-plus-plus-complete/spritebased-game ?

Please ask questions like that one in the For Beginners forum, not Game Industry Job Advice. Or do you want this thread moved back there again?

what do you guys think of Lazy Foo Begin Game Programming 2.0 using SDL. Do you think it's a good start? I've checked it out and it seems pretty complex and interesting, covering many points.

Has anyone tried this 3dbuzz[dot]com/training/view/c-plus-plus-complete/spritebased-game ?

Please ask questions like that one in the For Beginners forum, not Game Industry Job Advice. Or do you want this thread moved back there again?

I think I'll make another thread with the last two question because their are a little bit beyond the subject of this thread :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement