🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

So I want to start making games..

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 4 months ago

Hello!

I'm absolutely new to this website and I was amazed that there was actually a forum for game devs. So I made an account and read all the rules and what not and I really need some advice despite all the reading I did..

Firstly I want to warn you that I don't get to my point as early as I should. Also that it's a very long post for a question. So if you're more comfortable skimming through my post than go ahead! All I ask is only post if you're not going to criticize me or scold me for making a post where I give some background information. Anyway, please read on! biggrin.png

It may seem childish but I'm 18 years old and I have been in a dark hole for 3 years in search for a light. That light is a passion to create a career. Something I can wake up in the morning and be excited to do throughout the day. Of course, no job is always fun and can be a huge chore but that's another topic. Anyway, I post to ask for some advice.

See I've never had a passion so I don't have much programming besides taking a course in high school using Visual Basic.Net and drawing is not an option. My drawings are probably worse than a 2 year olds. laugh.png However being as I actually found something I want to do with my life I now just have more questions..

I want to work with VR. It could be by making animations or something through VR but games are more my thing. I eventually want to create a huge game on VR but again, that's another topic and a whole other level of needing a ton of funding. However since I don't have a job and no one of the 15+ jobs I've applied to In my city are getting back to me I won't have any money anytime soon..

With that in mind I thought "Why not start 'small' by making mobile games"? If I absolutely had to choose between which OS I had to choose it would be android though. I'm hopefully soon going to attempt to make a game for mobile devices to start my road to VR and game making in general. So now that I have a 'goal' I need some advice. Or perhaps guidance?

My interests in making games would be:

- Level Design
- AI Programming
- Programming
- Music/Sound Engineer

Knowing some background of myself what do you think would be a better option for me? Also forgetting the fact that you know anything me, can anyone give me information on exactly what those jobs are in charge of doing? Yes, yes I know they're very self explanatory but I would love some more information about them.

Thank you for reading and I sincerely to apologize for such a long post for simple questions. Please don't throw your mice and keyboards at me! laugh.png?

Advertisement

jobs

Moving this to Game Industry Job Advice. Neceal, you should start by reading the GIJA FAQs. http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Oh jeez I didn't even notice that topic existed.. I apologize and thank you very much!

1. Knowing some background of myself what do you think would be a better option for me?

2. can anyone give me information on exactly what those jobs are in charge of doing?

1. YOU have to decide what you're interested in most. Nobody else should make life decisions for you.

2. FAQ 7. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson7.htm

I've read about 5 of your lessons in the past 20 minutes and I have to say that they're very well thought out. Lesson 7 doesn't really help me make a decision but it did help me see all the types of jobs in the video game industry. Thank you for posting your lessons they're helping me which is very surprising!

Lesson 7 doesn't really help me make a decision

Right. It gives you information. Now read FAQ 10 and FAQ 40 and FAQ 70.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement