🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Releasing game with server source code?

Started by
10 comments, last by hplus0603 8 years, 2 months ago

Sorry for the late reply.

Hi, first of all, I and my team are doing the same thing, we open source a game server framework, we call it NoahGameFrame, short as NFrame, we put this project source code in Github.

You think this thing have some good or bad influence, it is not superfluous, you need more time to maintain it and answer people's issues. But there's a positive thing, it's a helpful thing to you and other programmers.

I suggest you need to find some friends in the same camp, they can involve this project and get an improvement in their skills.

Well, yeah, the difference in this case is that i don't want to distribute a "general purpose server" aimed for other devs. The server i'm developing is specifically made for a single game (which may or may not be sold commercially.) So it's more for the sake of modding.

even if your server is open-source, cheating shouldn't be an issue. Just follow this one rule (which is even good for cases other than cheating - laggy connections and corrupted packets can cause issues too): don't trust what your clients tell you. As in, do all the important work (collision detection, physics, etc) on both ends - on the client end to minimize the number of "bad" cases to check, and on the server end just to ensure everything is right.

Yeah, i still need to work on the whole anti-cheat thing. The server is barebones at the moment. But still, i was more worried about the possibility that (due to the open source code) people would be able to actively develope tactics which would bypass those anti-cheat functions in the server in order to cheat. (As they have the source code- they can see how exactly the server operates.)

Advertisement

If your game is good and popular enough that not only people are motivated to actually develop a cheat, but that cheat also actually matters -- that's a really great problem to have!

I suggest you first start making the game good enough, and build enough of a community, that that actually matters. Then you can add more/better/fancier anti-cheat protections, and worry about whether source code makes cheat development simpler than a disassembler already does.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement