🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I need someone to analyze the courses i've chosen...

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 4 months ago

Hi, gamedev community.

First of all, i would like to thank anyone who takes time to read my post, i'll try to keep it short.

So, for several reasons, since my childhood, my biggest dream have ever been working as a game developer( more specific writing stories for games), and since then i've always tried to figure out the best way to achieve it, but since i never actually found someone in the game development industry saying a good way to do so, untill i came across this forum, i made up some plans and now i would be extremely gratefull if someone could actually tell me if i'm doing it right or absolutely wrong.

To sum up everything, i came to think that its kind of hard for a company to actually analyze if you're fit for a job writing games stories/narrative without any other company reference. So, thinking this way, i came with the idea of graduating in CS(and while doing so always exercise my creativity as a storyteller/writer,to do so, i became a storyteller in many RPG games like D&D, Werewolf, Mage: The ascension), start working as a programmer, then, with some time and knowing more people in the industry i would try to tell someone about any story that i might have written.

In my spare time i'm also learning how to model using maya and zbrush(using DigitalTutors website) and training in my photoshop skills as well, i'm developing an indie game with some friends using Unreal Engine, and in the next semester i'll try to do a Literature course. By doing so i've imagined that i would have something more to show in an interview.

Now that i've found this forum i would be really greatfull if someone could see if this course of actions + really passionate about it + working hard for it would lead me to my final goal.

If i'm on doing it all wrong, what should i do?

Even if i'm on a right way, is there anything else you would recommend me to do?

Thank you all for you time, have a great day.

Advertisement

since my childhood, my biggest dream have ever been working as a game developer( more specific writing stories for games),

i came with the idea of graduating in CS(and while doing so always exercise my creativity as a storyteller/writer,to do so, i became a storyteller in many RPG games like D&D, Werewolf, Mage: The ascension), start working as a programmer, then, with some time and knowing more people in the industry i would try to tell someone about any story that i might have written.

While knowing how to program is important for everyone in the future, your plan is kind of backwards. Your goal is to become a story writer for games, and your plan will not take you there. Your plan will make you a game programmer, not a writer. Instead of studying CS and doing writing on the side, you should major in narrative studies and creative writing, and do programming on the side.

That said, becoming a game writer is hard, because while there may be one writer for any game team, there are multiple programmers - and the writer is only on one project for a short time, while the programmers are busy full time. Which means there is a need for a dozen times more programmers than writers. Game producers and creative directors can afford to be very choosy about hiring writers, and sometimes they look for writers who've worked in film, TV, or comic books professionally (as opposed to programmers who dabbled in writing).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Game writer

CS degree

Storyteller

Maya

Zbrush

Photoshop

Literature

what should i do? is there anything else you would recommend me to do?

You say you are a writer. The industry needs writers. Not very many, and most games don't have a dedicated writer, but a few do. It is a job that exists. It is unlikely that you will be the person in that job, but it is a job some people do. Do you spend your days writing, studying what makes good stories, what communicates well, and how to express your ideas clearly? Do you get excited about writers conferences and literary events? If that is your passion follow it.

You mentioned a CS degree, getting a job as a programmer. The industry needs programmers. Lots of them. Do you spend your days writing code, studying algorithms and data structures? Do you enjoy crafting software? Do you get excited explaining how different sorting algorithms work, or explaining which data structures are a great fit for real-world problems? If that is your passion follow it.

You mentioned photoshop, maya, and zbrush, which means working as a modeler or artist. The industry needs both. Lots of them. Do you spend your days creating models, drawing and sketching and building? Do you get excited talking about how you drew something using all the classical folds, or discussing which color palettes help push emotions, or comparing how slight variations to a model can trigger different emotional responses? If that is your passion, follow it.

Are you trying to do all of them? That's a problem. The game industry doesn't really need that person. Typically this person lacks focus. They tend not to have mastered anything.

There are a few people who master one field and have some competence in another. Technical artists, people who write artistic tools, shader programmers, but they tend to be one thing first and another second. A programmer with skill to help the artists, an artist with skills to create some programs. Even so, they are an artist first or a programmer first.

Most successful writers for games don't "write stories for games" they just write stuff in general. They usually work freelance and take whatever gig they can get. One year they'll write a games script then they may spend a few months writing content for a website and then maybe some tv script work etc..

Some of the largest AAA studios may have full time writers on staff but even some of these don't. Don't forget that some studios even contract big Hollywood writers such as JJ Abrams to write their scripts nowadays.

If you want to write stories for games then you need to concentrate on writing stories in general. If you are deciding what to study then forget CS and just go for some kind of creative writing / literature degree.

First of all, i would like to thank you all for taking the time to answer me.

Now, here's the thing, with your answers now i have a few new questions and, if you don't mind, i would like to ask them.

So, as stated by you, i'm going in the wrong direction if i want to be a writer, but is CS a really bad idea even if it's just a plan B in case being a writer doesn't work? I mean, i don't want to sound arrogant or anything like that, but i do have a really easy time learning new programming languages, so shouldn't i keep studying CS as a safe plan B and, while doing so, get some courses on creative writing/literature, reading articles about both psychology, about what make good stories and how to develop a character?

Also, if the writer job isn't as viable as i would like it to be, having a degree in CS and mastering my skills as a programmer, and still have some knowledge in other areas like history, mythology, literature, psychology could help me actually become at least a Game Designer?

Are you trying to do all of them? That's a problem. The game industry doesn't really need that person. Typically this person lacks focus. They tend not to have mastered anything.

I know it seems like i'm trying to be semi-good in everything but i'm actually studying different areas, for example modeling, just so i can have a brief knowledge about how everything works, as i've said i'm developing an indie game with some friends and even if i'm the only programmer i like to be able to help in some minor things or even just understand with what one of them might be having a hard time to do and try to figure out a solution to that.

I'm sorry to bother you all with so many questions, i'm just really anxious about all this and don't know anywhere else i could ask it and get a reliable aswer.

Again, i thank you all for your time and patience.

as stated by you, i'm going in the wrong direction if i want to be a writer, but is CS a really bad idea even if it's just a plan B in case being a writer doesn't work?

Programming is a fine plan B. But you need to major in the thing that's your passion A.

shouldn't i keep studying CS as a safe plan B and, while doing so, get some courses on creative writing/literature, reading articles about both psychology, about what make good stories and how to develop a character?

That's pretty much what I recommended before.

Also, if the writer job isn't as viable as i would like it to be,

Forget "viable," if writing is your #1 passion. People with a passion pursue the passion despite all obstacles.
Besides, writing isn't a "job," it's a career.

having a degree in CS and mastering my skills as a programmer, and still have some knowledge in other areas like history, mythology, literature, psychology could help me actually become at least a Game Designer?

"At least" a game designer? You make it sound like becoming a game designer is easier than becoming a writer! CS isn't the recommended pathway to game design, just as it isn't the recommended pathway to writer. You should do some soul-searching and decide what you're most passionate about. Actually, I dislike the previous sentence (I'm not deleting it, though). I didn't decide what I was "most" passionate about for many years. If you're trying to decide on what to major in, why don't you make a decision grid? http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement